1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

Funny that they squashed it. If I were Tiger's pr guy, I would have wanted them to "quash" it. But rather than setting aside the story completely, they crushed it.

o-<

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm sorry, but Tiger is running for Congress. He isn't my choice for any public office.
    And while his actions are disgraceful, they have nothing to do with his golf game, which is what he's known for.
    When he starts making out with a mistress on tv, in the middle of a golf tournament, on the 18th hole, before taking his final shot, somebody please text me with this news.
    Until then, he's just some other asshole who stepped out on his wife. And that isn't news.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's just some asshole with a billion dollars in endorsements, who said "Hello World" to us with his first Nike ad as a professional and has continued to trade his image for cash. It's fair for an adoring public which has bought that image hook, line and sinker, to know if the image is a facade.

And it became news when he decided to get into his car and start crashing into things on a residential street, then refused to talk to police about it. Yes, it was within his legal rights not to talk, but c'mon. Part of Tiger's image has always been one of reverence to those who serve, hence free tickets for military to his tourney in D.C., etc. But I guess he couldn't be bothered with the police, who last time I checked, deserve some respect too. He could have saved himself SO much trouble if he had just kept that appointment to talk them last Saturday. Or Sunday.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Tiger has always been someone who preferred his privacy. Just because he's a great golfer doesn't mean he has to bare his soul to the public.
    Sure, his accident is news. Everything else just comes across as fluff.
    And I couldn't agree more that he shouldn't have to issue a press release about how he's trying to repair the damage he's done to his family.
    Tiger is putting his family first right now, and I don't think anyone on this board can fault him for that. We may not like how he's doing it, and sure it's a bit late, but right now, his family is coming first.

6. playthrough

Damage control is coming first, and his handlers are doing a spectacularly bad job of it. This case will be studied in PR classes decades from now as how not to handle a bad situation.

I don't think he needs to bare his soul to the public. I can live without another public figure "setting the record straight" for Oprah or 60 Minutes or whoever. Just don't piss all over us and tell us it's raining.

I don't disagree that voicemails and all these new details are "fluff", on their own. But in this case they're the fallout from the accident, and I refuse to blame the media for trying to connect the dots. Again, Tiger and Co. didn't do anything to help head this off at the pass. If Tiger got out ahead of this last weekend, I'm sure this would be much less of a story now.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. I think his PR team has done a pretty damn good job.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent that just because he is a great golfer that he doesn't have to bare his soul to the public. But because he is a product spokesman -- maybe the No. 1 spokesman in the world -- his right for the public not to be interested in his private life was traded long ago.

That's the deal you make. You are the image, you've got to live up to the image, at least in public. If you don't, that's news.

Don't want that pressure? Don't take the money.

9. playthrough

One part veiled apology, three parts attack the media. That's the formula, and as a media member I'm just completely unimpressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really? I'd hate to see the shit that would be flying if they'd done a bad job.
    I saw stuff on this on Today about 12 times this a.m. ET is doing something. TMZ is streaming the mistress' press conference live.
    Cat done got out of the bag in a big way and I think it will get worse before it gets better.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes. Really. I thought the statement was brilliant, aside from the whiny media complaining, which is a minor detail in the grand scheme. And he's not showing his face, which is a good idea, since it's, you know, all banged up.

Perhaps I would have issued the statement a little earlier, like before the voicemail was released. Other than that, not bad.

How would Moddy PR handle it?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The other women would all be wearing cement shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted