1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger scolds media in apology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Babs

Babs Member

Did "dismay" make the list?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or treacle or debacle?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've always wondered about that, Dan. The stories about how his dad did everything under the sun to try to distract him, in order to build up his ability to concentrate, have never reconciled with the reality of a guy who flips out over the simple "click" of a camera shutter.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When did Media Coverage become the Forrest Gump of virtually every major news story? It's like the Best Supporting Actor character in a movie....the role of Zelig will now be played by Media Coverage! Your thoughts, how did Media Coverage handle the role? Too much! Too little! Let's analyze again!

Just report the freakin story, and stop talking about how everyone else is reporting the freakin story. Ugh.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As an independent contractor, brand-unto-himself, etc., Tiger Woods is not bound by any league policies or team rules. Therefore, nobody forced him to issue any statements. His logic is flawed.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Is it just me, or did the on-court club throwing, cussing and general bad behaviour get bumped up a notch or three AFTER the death of his father?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I believe it may have.

8. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

It's regrettable, and embarrassing, that the media has turned this into a circus. All that's missing is a group shot of us jumping up and down, screaming: "WE GOT HIM! WE GOT HIM! WE GOT HIM!"

Because that's what this became. A nation of "journalists" fighting to capitalize on the fact that, yeah, there apparently is trouble in this marriage, and we're gonna make sure the whole fucking world knows what most troubled couples would prefer to handle without headlines, because it's painful enough as it is.

We all get it: Tiger fucked up. He shoulda kept the driver in his pants, har har har. It's a shameful thing. I wanted to know what caused the accident, but after that, I don't wanna hear the voicemail. Or the sordid, explicit details. Or any of that. It's enough for me to know that Tiger fucked up, and I hope they can work it out, and if not, fine, and let me know after that.

Call Tiger Woods a dirtbag all you want.
    The media are showing the world that we're dirtbags, too.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Tiger Woods could have avoided all of this by doing one simple thing.

DON'T GET MARRIED YOU DUMBASS.

10. AD

AD Active Member

never cared about tiger much -- as a person. like a-rod, for me, he's one of those guys who i find personally dull, monochromatic, but who i love to watch hitting the ball. he looks like a duck, talks like nerd and says nothing. money? i lost interest in what people were making forever ago. in the end, it really says nothing. dipping his wick, leaving panicked voice-mails, getting stevie to do his dirty work? wow: the guy's just like any schmo, anywhere.
    we've always cared most about tiger because of what he can do better than anyone. but our celebrity-driven media reacts as if: he's famous! therefore he's newsworthy! therefore he's interesting! i get it, of course; it's my job. but in our search for "personality", to gin up the coverage beyond what happened on the field, we're left trying to parse the no-there-there psyche of your run-of-the-mill cocksmith. ugh.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Is it really that shocking that a high-paid professional athlete was caught having an affair...happens all the time...doesn't make it right, but far from shocking. He does need to suffer the consequences of his actions, however.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a 33-year-old man. Losing a father doesn't give one the liberty to act like an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted