1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, Nicklaus does cite, ruefully, his runner-up record. He doesn't brag about it, but it's a stat he acknowledges.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I don't doubt he knows it exists but I don't believe it's something he takes a great amount of pride in, especially since he won outright 18 times. I mean maybe he does but from the little that I've been introduced to the man seems to put a paramount on winning.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice this?

I'm not a big Anthony Kim fan, but it was a class move when, walking to the 18th green with Tiger, Kim stopped and let Tiger get the salute he deserves from the fans.

Pretty impressive for a young golfer who obviously was disappointed he couldn't make any putts when he had a chance to hang with Tiger Woods.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Did see that. Thought Tiger should have turned and told him to catch up. Of course, Tiger might not have seen him. Also thought Tiger's fist bump with the quad amputee was classy.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The stat I'd like to see from Elias or someone is what the rest of the tour players' combined record is when holding a lead after 54 holes since 1997, when Tiger started. He's 46-3 or whatever. They said yesterday that Mickelson has the next best winning percentage at .750, then Els and then a huge dropoff. And I'd especially like to see it for the majors. Tiger's 14-0 of course. What's the combined record of everyone else with the lead after 54 holes? I think that'd help put his incredible mark in an even more impressive context.

6. nafselon

Dude...but he never came from behind in the fourth round of a major.[/bittergolfcontrarian]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That is one of Tiger's oddest major stats ever. He's never lost a major when leading after 54 holes, and he's never rallied for the win when trailing after 54. It's a three-day tournament for him.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And for the 96th time, if he wins 25 majors and none from behind, it won't matter.

9. nafselon

Believe me, I'm absolutely with you, I think it's tied for the stupidest Tiger criticism with the infamous "why doesn't he get more second places".

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I heard he wore a shirt that said, "Are you looking at my titles?"

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was a about a big cat going back for seconds on Roy. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted