1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Never, ever bet against Tiger Woods.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So then the graph will be ready, the bone will be healed. I'm sure since he makes millions and golf is his job he has been doing tons of PT so his hamstrings and quads should be strong.

Don't know if they can be 100 percent yet though. That takes up to two years, well for a normal person who doesn't have 24 hours a day to train and prepare.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger had swelling and soreness every time he golfs. Moreso at the beginning, decreasing as he goes through the season.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah the doctors can help you. The less intrusive the surgery the faster the recovery. I mean the doctors also have some tricks they can use. Some doctors have patients with knee surgeries doing PT a day or so after surgery (bending the knee and what not) - the good doctors, like the ones Tiger has probably didn't let him bend his knee for 14 plus days after surgery. It was probably in immobilizer the whole time. Those things can make a difference down the road. And maybe the better doctors have better screws, but they aren't going to better fuse to your bone. Your bone is your bone, it takes a long time to heal. Essentially someone is wrapping the ends of a ligament around a screw and drilling the screw into your bone. The bone has to heal.

Sometimes, after the ligament is strongly attached to the bone, the screws will pop out and have to be removed. Sometimes the doctors use sugar screws that dissolve after something like 6-8 weeks. But the chances of having all sugar screws is unlikely - usually it's a combination of the two, or all metal screws. And you can't bank on the metal screws popping out either. Each person reacts differently.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And sometimes, Chef reattaches his ligaments with Mighty Mendit.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, I hope he's not rushing back, because a setback would put Nicklaus back in the career catbird's seat.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, if you would take the "field" instead of Tiger Woods, which some places will allow you to do, you would win more than 60 percent of the time, and do quite well.

Everyone's recovery time varies, but it takes about two years to fully recover from a torn ACL. You can play football, baseball, basketball, etc., within a year, and many athletes do. But you are not at your best, either physically or often, more importantly, mentally.

And the best doctors in the world are no guarantee of a speedy recovery. I expect Tom Brady had excellent surgeons too. Shit happens.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a long process to recover from an ACL tear. But I wonder if it might be a wash for Woods.

He played with a bum knee for a long time, and said it was especially bad the last few years. There might be some different sort of pain as he continues to recover, but it also figures to be more stable than it has been in awhile.

I mean, he won the U.S. Open in June in what must have been excruciating pain. Clearly wasn't faking it, as some who dislike him suggested.

Love him or hate him, Woods is one of those performers who always seems to do amazing things. Wouldn't shock me a bit if he wins 8-9 events, including a couple a majors this season.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what the oddsmakers do with him next week.

And, here's the answer:

Tiger 5-1
    the field 9-1
    Mickelson 15-1
    Kim 15-1
    Garcia 15-1

Additional individual odds listed for about another 20 players.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

His birdie on No. 16 a moment ago was awesome stuff.
    He lined up, then walked away as something had distracted him.
    He lined back up and drilled a 20 footer.

(EDITORS: Didn't want thread police coming after me for starting a "needless" running golf thread.)

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He's keying in on what's become his favorite major. Right now I've got the number of British Opens he will win around 6 and maybe 7.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Guy is amazing. Here's something I was thinking about: Tiger gets bashed a lot here for not having more seconds in majors, where Nicklaus had 19. So does that mean Mickelson doesn't get the credit he deserves because he finished second in five U.S. Opens?

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I don't think the people who bring that up take themselves seriously when they do it. Like I said in another thread try bringing up Nicklaus' 19 second-place finishes to him and you're likely to get a 3 iron up the ass. I'm pretty sure it's not an accomplishment he holds in high regard.

Meanwhile let's see if Tiger gets the 19 majors first...and let him work on the title of best runner-up later.

Draft saved Draft deleted