1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger out for 4-6 weeks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, Orville, but consider yourself collateral damage here. The gratuitous bashing of Ferguson in these parts for doing his job reached its sell-by date a long time ago.

Having edited more than my share of AP novellas over the years (motor sports columnist Mike Harris used to write the equivalent of a Russian novel every week), it doesn't seem to be that much heavy lifting to cut Mark Steinberg's quotes or whatever else you need to do to get it to fit your alloted space.

I've got no problem with writing 27 inches about the world's most famous athlete going for surgery two days after the Masters. That's Doug doing his job.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Nantz and the CBS crew made several comments about how he seemed to lack some fire on Saturday and Sunday, and though none of them mentioned a possible injury, there was one move by Tiger that drew some questioning:

On one of the early holes Sunday, he hit into a green side bunker and after the shot, he was VERY cautious climbing out of it. He grimaced as he climbed out and walked a little tenderly for a few steps afterward. I think it was Faldo who said something about it after Tiger eventually got out.

3. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Monday headline:

Tiger rallying in rehab;
    Some guy wins tourney

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

27 inches is way too fucking long. Period.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Tiger has far surpassed Jordan for my money.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Excellent point.

I had forgotten about that "Tiger looks like an old geezer" moment.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Ooooohhh.

Hmmmm.

Is there a big freaking elephant in the room with us?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Wonder if Jack drove down a couple hours and grabbed a bottle of Bob Griese's Long Live The Giants bubbly.

Three weeks ago, the thought of Tiger not having 15 major wins headed to the British would have been laughed out of the room.

Nicklaus' mark, I feel, has a puncher's chance again, all of a sudden.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Who here thought Tiger wouldn't win this year's Masters and Open at freaking Torrey Pines.

He may still win by eight in La Jolla, but if he doesn't, I think things get interesting, though the odds, as you articulate, are still in Woods' favor.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll lay money that says Tiger is back for The Players.

11. Simon_Cowbell

No way he is jeopardizing his gimme major at Torrey Pines.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The most optimistic side of his rehab schedule calls for his return to the Memorial in late May. He's out for The Players. Won't bother him any. He doesn't like the course and the Tour has rebuffed his numerous suggestions that they flip the nines so No. 17 (the Island Green) is No. 8, and disasters would come earlier in a round, with a chance to catch up.

Wouldn't surprise me if the timing of the surgery was intended to do just that -- take a swipe at the Tour by missing its biggest event.

Draft saved Draft deleted