1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger/McDowell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 5, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not going to argue that it's an exhibition (it is December money-grab golf, no question), but it's four rounds on your own ball with a great field. Not far from the real thing, certainly more so than father-son and the other offseason hoo-hah. And Tiger's intensity made it plenty compelling. Also further showed McDowell to be a real stud. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him bag another major.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

From what I saw, which was the last few holes, the course didn't allow for a lot of bombs, so it's hard to tell.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still doesn't count. Off-season event.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Based on how it played out, it was as un-silly as the silly season gets. But an 18-man field? I didn't realize that, and wasn't really following this tournament. I don't think I'm going to put a lot of stock into it. I would've liked to have seen it, though. Does that make any sense?

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The world player competition ranking points still count. If Eldrick would have won today and Lee Westwood lost his tourney, Tiger would have regained the #1 spot http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/12/tiger_woods_wont_regain_no_1_r.html

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not meaning to say you're wrong, we'll just have to disagree. But my point is this: A tournament is still a tournament even if it's not part of the PGA Tour schedule.

To compare this tournament to an NFL exhibition is off the mark. You don't have to care about it, but a lot more people across the country care about it than any NFL exhibition, In fact, I'd bet a lot more people care about it than a couple of the regular-season games that were played today.

There's a thread on this tournament. I don't think there was a post on the NFL Week 13 thread about the Carolina-Seattle game or the Miami-Cleveland game. And I totally pity the TV markets that had those games on today.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

It was still one hell of a show to see the once invincible man blow a four shot lead in the final round for the first time in his storied pro career. I'll wager that the afternoon ratings for NBC will bear it out too

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And what is your over/under on the rating?

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

For the record, I was in a bar riveted to the Miami-Cleveland game and wasn't on-line at the time. Otherwise ... well, there probably still wouldn't be any posts about that game.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And that just demonstrates how incredibly stupid golf ranking are.

Under that system, Florida, which like Tiger hasn't won a damn thing of consequence all year, would be No. 1 in college football because it was great in 2008 and 2009.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'd have to see it again, but I think Tiger said to him " That was a hell of a putt" to McDowell.

12. Tahoe_Joe

Tahoe_Joe Member

Most of the events mentioned as being part of the silly season have disbanded. Not sure there really is a silly season anymore. Believe 11 of the top 14 in the world rankings were playing in this event.

Without finishing second last year, McDowell doesn't get the ranking points needed to avoid qualifiers for the U.S. Open. And his win at Pebble Beach helped him qualify for the Euro Ryder Cup team. Getting into this event when Tiger withdrew last year paved way for a big 2010.

Whether you think this just an exhibition or not, the closing holes and playoff were great drama. McDowell was first to beat Woods after he held a lead of three shots or more entering the final round (Eldrick was 28 for 28). And judging by Tiger's reaction when he stuck it to 3 feet on closing hole of regulation, he wanted to win this one bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted