1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger/McDowell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the last few holes of the Chevron? McDowell with a sick shot, taking an unplayable lie and dropping a ball from the next teebox to save bogey on 17. Then two sick approach shots by Tiger on 18 and in the playoff and each time McDowell putt first and made birdie. Tiger couldn't answer in the playoff and he loses a 4 shot lead on a Sunday. Great stuff.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Very good stuff. McDowell made some great putts on 18 in regulation and in the playoff as well.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't even know this was on.

Would have watched it if I had.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Golf Channel might replay it, they did the first few rounds, although those weren't on NBC of course.

It was fantastic. I'm in the camp who believe Tiger will be back to winning majors next season, but it was sort of fitting for his season to end like this. McDowell's shot on 17 was probably more impressive than the two putts on 18. It looked like he would get a 5 for certain, maybe even 6. Instead he manages a bogey, then the great finish.

Why does Tiger matter to golf? Because an event that's not even a real event practically feels like a major, simply because he's in the final two on Sunday.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I didn't see it but I'm certain they will replay it, in its near-entirety, on highlights shows tonight.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

One thing I liked. When Tiger hit his approach on 18, they showed him walking up the fairway. McDowell, who hit his tee shot longer was in front of Tiger and must have complimented the shot, because you could see Tiger say "Thanks, Grahme"(sp) as he walked past him. Good sportsmanship.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to get excited about post-season golf because? Of course, if Tiger had won, it would have ranked up there with the Second Coming, when in reality its like winning a preseason NFL game.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not quite, HanSenSE. It was an 18-man field but absolutely loaded, and for three rounds Tiger was kicking their asses. Today he missed some short putts early, and McDowell was just a stone-cold killer at the end (and made an amazing bogey on 17 after he took a drop on the 18th tee box).

Call it silly season golf, but it does matter. McDowell finished second in this event last year and it was crucial for world ranking points to get him going in 2010. For Tiger, this might be the catalyst to 2011.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There are no paychecks to the players for exhibition games in the NFL. There were real paychecks handed out at the end of this golf tournament. They were most definitely playing for real.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And McDowell was the last-minute replacement for Tiger last year when he dropped out after the accident. His showing there helped him get the points that helped get him to the U.S. Open, which he won as he became one of the best players in the world this year. So it did mean a little something.

11. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

So: is McDowell still riding a hot streak, or has he learned something this year that will keep him in contention for a while? My guess is he'll be in the Tom Lehman category; not a coming threat in all the majors, but will perform well on courses that suit his game for the next 3-5 years.

I didn't see it; was outdriving Tiger more of a commentary on his drive, or Tiger's? Eldrick's not hitting many drives pure these days.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But is it a PGA event? Does it count in the standings? No and no. It's an exhibition. That's what I don't like about the silly season, I feel like I'm expected to take tournament like this one, the 3-tour Challenge, Father-Son matches, ect. as seriously as the regular season. I can't.

We're just bound to disagree, guys ... just gotta throw in my $.02

Draft saved Draft deleted