1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger leaving the Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

If this isn't his plan, or the plan of his handlers, he's a moron -- wait, he already is. But I mean in terms of his professional career as a moron.

1. Lay low for 6-8 weeks.
    2. Have a sit-down in late January/early Feb with 60 Minutes/ESPN/Oprah/Whoever
    3. Play a tune-up tourney, duck questions "I'm here to play golf and continue my career/I explained everything during my sit-down, so now you POS reporter sit-down and shut up."
    4. Be in the mix at The Masters
    5. Chill after that
    6. Play a prep for the U.S. Open
    7. Win at Pebble Beach
    8. Do another sit-down for TV
    9. Chill after that
    10. Chill some more
    11. Win the British Open
    12. Repeat and rinse again.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Winning, even for Woods, ain't so easy as that. He went oh-fer at the majors in 2008, with somewhat less mental pressure then there will be in 2009.
    I honestly believe he might skip Augusta. If you've never been, it's not just a tournament, it's like an annual golf family reunion. It's social for all the famous/important people in the sport. There obviously aren't too many people on earth Woods gives a shit about. But some of them would be his companions in the Champions Locker Room.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

Unfortunately for Zach Johnson, the national media only cares what white guys from Iowa do once every four years.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Could you make a case for those people offering him some kind of refuge in there were he to show up?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Like I said earlier.... he has to prove this is no Urban Meyer Spikes job

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Great point. It's not like the everyone in the locker room is going to suddenly get quiet and turn their backs on Tiger when he walks through the door. They won't give him the silent treatment.

7. Michael_ Gee

Some will. They all know that what was good for Tiger was good for the sport. Likewise, what's bad for Tiger is...
    It's not they'll freeze him out. But it'll be different. He won't exactly be their peer anymore.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

John Daly would welcome him.

9. Michael_ Gee

Slight change of direction: While remote-twitching through the cable universe, they had a Tiger segment on Olbermann's show, hosted by the insufferable Lawrence O'Donnell, and the talking head was introduced as Sports Editor of "The Nation."
    What?!? Has the Nation ever RUN a sport story? Anybody ever see this guy at a game? Or was it some intern the Nation sent over as a gag? Guy wasn't an idiot or anything, standard vanilla commentary, but I'm sure the Nation doesn't really have a sports editor.

10. I think Tiger is doing this to step away from things... Yeah I know he and the family has been out of the public eye, but I think this is a calculated move to set the Paparazzi onto the next scandal. Supposedly, the are going to Sweden. He can lay low and begin rebuilding his image.
    I think he is waaaaay too selfish to change his stripes. I also think he will be back in time for the Masters tune up round.

And I still say he wins two of the four majors next season... easily.

11. Ten

Ten New Member

That guy, can't recall his name, is on Outside the Lines quite often.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonder what Steve Williams will do in the meantime.
    Not too many professions where you can make a million bucks for toting a bag and being an asshole -- not necessarily in that order.

Draft saved Draft deleted