1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger King ... holy eff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twirling Time, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I ’m kind of hoping that this “Plandemic” woman stays in the limelight for a while because I want to see what Netflix will do with “Virus King” about her rivalry with Tony Epidemiologic.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hey, Roy Horn, of Siegfried and Roy, died.

It might as well be posted on this thread, too. It's on 3 others.

Come on, SJ folks. Reading through the threads is like turning on the TV. I saw that already. Change channel. I saw that already. Change channel. I saw that already. The same thing is posted on 5 different threads. Yesterday, the video of Pence lifting the empty boxes was posted 3 times in 30 minutes on the SAME thread.

Oh yeah, maybe I should post this, too, on the "Thinks that irk you" thread.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Nicolas Cage won't play Joe Exotic in an Amazon 'Tiger King' project after all

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Judging from the lack of posts, well, anywhere, season two has mostly landed with a "thud." The wife and I have watched four of the five episodes so far, and, well, I can't really recommend it either, haha. I've heard the last episode might have some cliffhangers, to somehow setup a third season, but so far...

- The main focus is on the weirdos who have come out in support of Joe Exotic. There are long segments about the guys who were attempting to get him a pardon from Trump, and maybe surprising / not surprising, the Tiger King camera crew was in D.C. on Jan. 6. The "rawest" thing in the first four episodes is an encounter between the group trying to get a pardon for Joe Exotic, and Trump supporters at the rally. You can *feel* the anger in the air.

- A bunch of time is devoted to a kind of sleazy civil rights (?!?) lawyer, who switches from advocating for Don Lewis' family to working for Joe Exotic, but in both pursuits against Carole Baskin. Along similar lines, there is an "Internet sleuth" who's investigating the case. Both things are quite light on evidence. (My position on her has always been that there's a chance she had something to due with Don's death, but there's pretty much zero evidence.) There is some evidence presented that she and her family might have committed fraud to get Lewis' estate.

- There are some interviews with Joe's brother, and his ex-wife. Mostly fluff. There isn't really much from the interesting people from the first doc (the on the ground workers); I'm presuming it's because they're mostly involved in normal work now, living their lives, and there isn't much to update in 12 to 24 months. (This is a problem with season two in general - there really isn't much "new" stuff there.)

- Jeff Lowe talks on camera about how MDMA is great, and you can drive on it. He and his wife continue to be gross as fuck. Lowe partnered with a guy named Tim Stark, who is somehow as bad or worse than Joe Exotic.

- The one bit of new and interesting reporting is by the doc makers, who go to Costa Rica to interview some of Don Lewis' workers and friends and "acquaintances" from there. It seems pretty clear that he was doing things like hiding assets, transporting wild animals illegally from that country to the U.S., and also hooking up regularly with prostitutes.

Anyway, I might have another post after we watch the final episode. But man, even more so than the first season, this is just a series about awful people.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That sounds like a lot of Trump-style grift. Why am I not surprised?

I feel somewhat bad for Joe Exotic. I think the guy at first meant well, but went more and more off the deep end — perhaps like some of those pedo hunters who thought Comet Pizza was really a den of child sex. There are some mental issues there, and I hope he gets help for those. While that is happening, there are a fair number of people making money from being tangentially involved with his story.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This is the perfect example of a show for which a second season sounded like a great idea 15 months ago and by the time that they were able to produce it, no one really cares.

sgreenwell and wicked like this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Without watching it, I just don't think they had material. He was in jail and the zoo sold off with the material they had from the last season. Carol Baskin didn't agree to participate. It was so popular they felt they had to do something, so they really stretched for the material.

Draft saved Draft deleted