1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger/Jack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 8, 2009.

?

Tiger will break Nicklaus' record of 18 professional majors, yes or no

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. No, but he will tie the mark

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, Tiger played crappy, by his standards, the only time he was in a major at Whistling Straits (T24, 2004 PGA). But he obviously likes the other three.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Revelations about affairs haven't seemed to affect A-Rod over the years. And we won't know until we know. For you to call people dumb or batshit crazy because they think Woods could still have success is pretty insulting. Can't anyone have a different take from you without an insult coming back?
    Woods tends to play pretty well when he's pissed or been through emotional trauma (such as the aftermath of his father's death, which was followed by two major victories in a row in 2006 after he missed the U.S. Open cut). I personally am not going to bet against the guy until I see a string of missed cuts.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Right.... BEFORE his whole world was turned upside down, the over/under would have been two majors this year.

If he doesn't get two this year, I think he is done.

Remember the Vicodin

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brett Favre won a few football games despite the Vicodin.

5. Simon_Cowbell

I'm talking about the obvious continuing pain in the knee

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What if he wins one and gets a couple top 5s? Still done? Or can he only continue playing golf and being good at it if he wins two?

7. Simon_Cowbell

With his knee, he has got to get Nicklaus done in the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Barbara may be in for angel status; Jack, not so much. But his love for his wife and family was never in question.

Jack had his dry stretches when it came to majors; '68-69, for example. So, nothing new. On the other hand, he was never hounded as Tiger is going to be.

I believe that Tiger has the same assassin's mentality on the course that Jack had. So, barring the type of injury that's being speculated about here, I think he'll bounce back.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Seven worldwide victories, money title, FedEx Cup title, in contention to win three majors, 5-0 in the Presidents Cup ... yeah, that knee is killing him.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Degenerative.... ever heard of the word?

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

I said three. Augusta, Pebble and the Old Course are three of his favorite major championship courses. The last time he played a major at Pebble, he won by 15 shots. The last time he played a major at St. Andrews, he won by five. And we don't need to rehash his success at Augusta.

The idea that Tiger is going to undergo some amount of scrutiny from galleries is absurd. The people in Scotland are too respectable, and nobody's going to say a word at Augusta or Pebble. As for the media, he'll do what he's always done. He'll grin and bear it, even when he doesn't want to, and he'll talk to who he wants to talk to.

Besides, by the time we get to April and the Masters, the media will be back to talking golf and his pursuit of Jack's record (barring some ridiculous new development to the story).

12. Simon_Cowbell

Wait till the Brits get a hold of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted