1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger/Jack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 8, 2009.

?

Tiger will break Nicklaus' record of 18 professional majors, yes or no

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. No, but he will tie the mark

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If he is taking Vicodin, as is alleged, it tells me he has chronic knee pain. There's probably some serious arthritis/degeneration in there too. That's not a promising sign for career longevity.

Interesting that the prosecutor quashed the cop's attempt at getting the blood test results to check for alcohol/drugs. That's almost unheard of and certainly smacks of protecting the local celebrity.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I put this on the other thread, but TMZ is reporting that Gatorade is dropping Tiger.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Our relationship with Tiger continues." -- statement from Gatorade

Read more carefully next time.

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

I can't speak for substances other than alcohol, but the abuse of that tends to improve my golf game.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

THIS is the main reason he won't catch Nicklaus.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Jack will always have more class and character than Tiger, and I've thought that since right after Tiger's first Masters victory.
    Tiger's a douche. Always has been. But nobody's ever called him out on it. Now we're seeing his real stripes (yep, couldn't avoid it. just couldn't it.)

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

It's not like he needs a whole hell of a lot of longevity. He needs four wins.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If Tiger can stay healthy enough to compete in majors for five more years, he'll break the record.

He doesn't need to play past the age of 40.

His caddy will handle the hecklers. If the PGA has to allow him to bring a small security detail to run through the crowd and menace everyone other than the idiots who yell "get in the HOLE!!!!" on his freaking tee shots, then it will. As we see even here, as journalists wonder why this story is even being covered, and as journalists attempt to put the blame on his harem, Tiger's fans will let this scandal wash away. They'll say, "It's OK . . . I never thought he was that great a guy anyway . . . most guys cheat, why is he so scrutinized?" and any number of excuses so they can continue to worship their latest sports hero.

And so will the Tour. Tiger Woods is the main reason professional golf has reached its current level of popularity. They'll (continue to) milk him for all he's worth. And a coronation season, in which he pursues and breaks Nicklaus' record, will fill their coffers. Any concessions he needs, he'll get.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Beverage Digest says the deal to end the partnership was in place a few days before the accident that started all this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The partnership with Woods or just that line of drinks? I read "Our relationship with Tiger continues" to mean he's still getting paid.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Steve Williams will be a target.

These guys will be itching to get him to drop the bag.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lot of guys go inside the ropes to escape their problems. Isn't it possible he might take it out on the golf ball and still play well?

Draft saved Draft deleted