1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger is unconscious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'd say it's unlikely anyone shoots even 10-under at Augusta. If you mean 25-under combined as the Masters and U.S. Open, you're still on drugs. He shot 19-under at Torry Pines this year when the course was playing as easy as possible. Seeing as how Tiger is the only person to ever go as much as 12-under at a U.S. Open, he'd have to match that, and shoot 13-under at Augusta (which is ten strokes better than the winning score last year.)

I think he has a good chance of winning every tournament he enters this year, which would be amazing. But he's not going double digits under par at both Augusta and the Open or a slew of people are getting fired.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tiger's 4 wins at Augusta: -12, -12, -16, -18

3. Double Down

Do you actually ever do any reading to inform yourself of new things, Simon?

Augusta isn't the same course it was even in 2005 when Tiger won shooting 12-under. Harder, longer, tighter, with rough. There is a reason 3-under was the winning score last year.

4. Simon_Cowbell

We shall see.

Remember what Tom Kite's winning score at the Pebble Open in 1992 was? -3. Watson in 1982? -6. Nicklaus in 1972? +2.

If Tiger is on, it matters not, those particulars you are talking about.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If we start seeing dry weeks at Augusta, then the Masters is going to turn into a goddam par-festival, ruining what I believe is the best major in golf. The Masters was built on back-nine charges, not clinging to a two-shot lead with a rugged string of eight straight pars.

The changes the club implemented were masked by rain before last year. Last year was chilly and dry, and black numbers were everywhere. No fun.

That said, Tiger still wins the thing.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Tiger can still dartboard a dry Augusta, though I agree that 12 under will be a hard sell in those circumstances.

7. Double Down

Tiger could be absolutely "on" and shoot 8-under and win by five strokes at Augusta. Which is probably the most likely scenario right now. (Although you can't spray the driver all over at the Masters like he did in match play and recover; remember that.)

If he shot 8-under at Augusta (which, again, is five strokes better than the winning score last year, the first year the course changes really were in place) he has to shoot 17-under at Torry Pines to meet your number. And that's five strokes better than any US Open score in relation to par. Ever.

Is it possible? Sure. It's possible. Pretty much everything is possible with Tiger. But people get sooooo caught up in hyperbole every time Tiger goes on a winning streak. As I said, if Tiger shoots 17-under at Torrey Pines, people will be fired. And Torrey Pines will never, ever sniff another U.S. Open again. If you want to say that he'll be 25-under for The Masters and The British Open (which is at Royal Birkdale, where his buddy O'Meara won in 1998 when he shot even par) then maybe. He'd need four good days of weather and a hell of a putting week though.

Draft saved Draft deleted