1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger cruise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My sister's in the Navy and has been on an aircraft carrier for the last four months, and she has provided me an opportunity to go on a "Tiger cruise," where we ride along with the sailors and officers and experience the everyday life of those on the boat.

Has anybody been on one of these? What kind of stuff can I expect? I've read up a little bit on the Web, and will some more, but I'm thinking this is one of those opportunities I won't want to pass up, although it's not exactly gonna be like riding on the Love Boat.
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was much more looking forward to the "Tiger cruise" I was imagining this thread to be about.
  3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I haven't been haze gray and under way in nearly 20 years, but so I can't tell you exactly what to expect in today's new Navy. But I say go for it.
    When we used to do them, the dependents would come on, they'd spend a night or two, visit the different parts of the ship they were allowed into, receive a cap, experience life in berthing and on the mess deck.
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They have Cougar Cruises.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, I was imagining a cruise where you could live life Tiger-style (at least the Tiger of 2-3 years ago). Complete with a Perkins in the food court.
  6. maumann

maumann Member

When I was working in radio in central Florida in the mid-'80s, the Navy was doing routine Trident missile launches off the coast. Cape Canaveral NAS would allow a couple of journalists to tag along on the submarine tender, on a invitation basis. Being good friends with the public affairs folks, I got my name on the list.

I finally got my turn for a pair of night launches -- and the whole trip was unforgettable, from the dinner in the officer's mess to sleeping in the top bunk in the enlisted quarters on the trip back. I was amazed by all the shops and storerooms they had -- everything needed to repair a sub while at sea.

Since the Cold War was still in full swing -- and the Soviets were more than interested -- the tender ran without lights. I can't describe the feeling of walking through the outside hatch just before the first launch and being immersed in total blackness.

I stood there for probably two or three minutes before my eyes finally adjusted -- and then realized I was no more than five feet from a sailor on deck. Because we were far enough from the coastline, I saw dozens of shooting stars that night. And when the sub finally shot the first missile, the combination of sound and light was total sensory overload.

That tender was scrapped not long ago, but I remember that day vividly. I wanted to take my dad on the next trip, but wound up moving back to California before my name came back up on the list.

If you have a chance to experience an aircraft carrier, run to be first in line.
  7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

See the big radar antenna waaay up high there (painted black). Imagine being up there, at sea, at night. That's a sensory overload. Going up there under way was a majorly against regs, but the linkage between the motor and the antenna shaft snapped one night. We had to secure the antenna from just spinning wildly to prevent all kinds of damage. I was on the only one of our guys willing to do it. It was something I'll never forget.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I had the opportunity to do one of these 20 years ago or so when I was about 10. My father was stationed on the Eisenhower, an aircraft carrier. Flew down to Fort Lauderdale and cruised back to Norfolk, Va. They did flight drills for all the kids and a bunch of other stuff. Still remember one of the pilots creating a sonic boom which shook the whole damn ship.

If you can do this, you won't regret it.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You have to go. I'm figuring it won't be as lame as the Disney movie by the same name, or as dangerous as Under Siege, but damn a ride on a flat top? I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    I'm guessing there will be tours, demonstrations - kind of like an open house. And the ride out should be fun, would you board by boat or will they fly you out?
  10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If Kelsey Grammer is there, ask about his tattoo.
  11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Being able to get in a plane and take off and land, now THAT would be major where-are-my-insides cool.
  12. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

I went on a Tiger Cruise on my oldest son's ship about four years ago, along with my two younger sons (10 and 12 at the time.) We all thoroughly enjoyed the three days we spent at sea on the destroyer. The racks, by the way, our coffin-size, and I couldn't believe the enlisted men slept in them. We met the ship in port, boarded and headed out to sea for the journey of a lifetime. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if given the chance, and I might get the chance because the son in the Navy is now an officer and almost finished with flight school. Ironically, I took a buyout three years one step ahead of getting laid off after 30 years as a journalist, and I now teach journalism at a Department of Defense Dependents School (DoDDS) overseas on a Navy base.
Draft saved Draft deleted