1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Beat sports writer for The State Journal-Register (Springfield, Ill.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know if this is a reworking of the prep reporter opening.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1025907

Company: The State Journal-Register
    Position: Lead this newspaper's youth journalism efforts
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 2, 2009
    Job ID: 1025907

Description:
    The State Journal-Register in Springfield, Ill., is seeking an editor/writer for its weekly award-winning teen section, The Voice. Successful candidates should have a passion for youth journalism, be highly creative and in tune with what teens are talking about as well as understand how best to present information and drive traffic to both print and online.
    The Voice editor oversees one teen intern and student journalists from a readership area that includes 24 high schools. This person must be highly organized, motivated and a self-starter. The Voice editor is part of an eight-member features staff and is expected to generate and contribute stories to other sections of the newspaper as needed. A four-year college degree in journalism or a related field is required. Pay and benefits competitive.

To apply, please send or e-mail a letter expressing interest and resume to Erin Orr, managing editor/content at erin.orr@sj-r.com, or P.O. Box 219, Springfield, IL 62705-0219. Applicants should express interest by March 13.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Doesn't look like a sports opening, so unless they really reworked the newsroom, I'm guessing this is something new. A lot of papers have (or had) something like this -- get correspondents from each high school in the coverage area to write about what you assign them, be it sports, music, whatever. Usually it's pretty fluffy stuff, because you'll be the one editing it to meet daily paper standards, and even the best of the correspondents are usually going to be pretty raw.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Don't know bout any of that, but I am digging the Oasis lyrics in the sig.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

The Voice is an interesting section of the SJ-R...but no, there's no freakin' way this is the sports opening repackaged.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tiger Beat? Is 16 Magazine also hiring?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bananas just laid me off and Dynamite is not calling me back, so this might worth be looking into.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

One of the interview questions is "Who is your favorite Jonas brother, and why?

Also, "compare and contrast the Godfather trilogy with High School Musicial 1-3."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Uh, I wish the entire cast of High School Musical could meet the same fate as Sonny Corleone at the tollbooth.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Mizzou Grad. You lead 'em there and I'll pull the trigger!

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That was exactly my first thought when I saw the thread title. Hmmm. Maybe Teen Vogue has a place for me ...

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

...save Ashley Tisdale. ...um...uh...what?

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I was going to mention the body count, but if that's what you're planning ...

Draft saved Draft deleted