1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger 2.0

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dawgpounddiehard, Mar 30, 2007.

1. DD, I'd never piss on a story just for the hell of it. I have no idea who Garrity is. I was just really dissatisified, to the point of irritation, with the first-person narrative in the story. There was too much of it. I wanted to read it, but I couldn't become a part of it because the way he wrote it.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was pleased to read that Tiger's financial goal is to be "in a place where my family can be financially secure."

Whew. For a minute I was worried he might not have enough to fund his retirement.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't piss on stories around here lightly or often, and I do sympathize with the plight of writing about an unwilling subject.

But that was a Sport Illustrated cover story, and I think a lot of college newspaper editors would have spiked it.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That struck me as odd, too. The guy's got more money than some countries.

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

What do you suppose his monthly nut is? I'd guess seven figures. Private jet, suites, limousines, security, bling, land, house, tear-down house, castle, yacht, Stevie, Uncle Sam, pesky in-laws in Sweden, cable subscriptions, Wimbledon tickets. I mean, a guy's gotta make sure his great-great-grandchildren never have to work.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was amazed at the lack of access despite all of the access. A 10-minute sitdown at an airport hangar, but he got to fly around with the world in his private jet with Tiger on board and the inner circle? No quotes from the "inner circle." Nothing from Steve Williams, Elin, Bryon Bell. It just didn't give me the insight I was anticipating/needed.

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Garrity must not have had access to the blue font for that one.

8. swenk

swenk Member

A far better Woods story: Tom Friend on Tiger's niece, Cheyenne Woods, in the current espn mag.

I had the privilege of working with her Grandpa Earl for many years, and sometimes I think he was more excited about her budding golf career than he was about her famous uncle's success.

She sounds like a cool kid---an interesting look at the less-famous part of the clan.

9. OK, let's not get carried away. A college newspaper that would spike that story? Ridiculous.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It. Doesn't. Make. Any. Sense.

11. The Basement

The Basement Member

i'm surprised no one has mentioned that the private jet he flew around on was NIKE's. During NIKE's promotional launch of the Sumo driver series. and that in SIX months, the whole story was based on a 10-minute interview, SI buying him into Tiger's pro-am, and basically pimping NIKE and its product so he can fly to Dubai.

SIX MONTHS? and this was it? The whole thing was bogus.

12. The editor's note also mentions that he and Tiger played six holes of golf together ... did anyone get far enough along in the article to notice any reference to that? I just couldn't get through the damn thing without throwing the magazine against the wall ...

Draft saved Draft deleted