1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIFF Cinematique's Top 30 films of the last decade...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Random question: do more people in Canada see foreign films than us here in America? The only foreign film I've heard of on the list was Spirited Away but being from podunksville, there weren't exactly a lot of indie/foreign movie theaters anywhere near me.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

well, other than major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc, you cant find foreign/indie movie theatres up here either.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All right, my memory's refreshed.

Saw THREE of those movies, the third being Crash.

Utterly pretentious, overrated tripe. Been over this ground before, and won't dwell on it -- but won't change my mind. It was an obvious Oscar try without
    deep substance, and I love throwing those kind out at second by twenty feet.

4. vicd

vicd Active Member

Wait? Does that mean I'm liberal or conservative?
    Wouldn't all Hollywood movies be foreign in Canada?
    I'm pissed that I can't see the new "Trailer Park Boys" movie in my local theater.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

Is Brokeback Mountain any good? I didn't see it. I don't really like Westerns.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1) No, because half of them were shot here. :)
    2) Move to Canada

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

1. Ha!
    2. Believe me, I would if they would take me.
    Is the new Trailer Park Boys any good?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Put the liberals back in charge and get them to repeal the changes to the Skilled Worker Act. It's a lot harder these days.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yes, it is a very good film. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger are great in it. The story is good and it has some awesome cinematography. I really enjoyed it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think at the time it was out, BM wasn't referred to as a "western" but as "that gay cowboy movie".

Now, there's one bandwagon the big brains at Hollywood didn't jump on.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Could not agree more.

Brokeback Mountain was so superior in such a multitude of ways

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There were aspects of Crash that I loved and aspects that I didn't think were effective.

Brokeback Mountain was an outstanding movie. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to see it and it was quite simply, an outstanding film.

I remember watching the Oscars that year and saying, "No fucking way" when it lost Best Picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted