1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ties in polls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since you opened the door, McIntosh was the source of my favorite-ever mascot story.

Their athletic teams were for years known as the Demons, until a local minister led a movement to change the mascot. Not thinking things through, the school board held a "name the team" contest among the students.

The top choice among the student body, which is nearly 100 percent black, was "Playas." The school board decided that that just wouldn't do, so for a few years, McIntosh had no mascot (it has since gone back to Demons).

The lesson in all this, don't let students pick anything.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That is a great story I hadn't heard, and is dead-on accurate about letting students do anything these days.

RB

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I thought the last time I saw one, it was:

8. Cedar Bluff
    (tie) McIntosh

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

guys compiling high school polls should never let there be any ties if they don't know they style.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They can't find anyone else dumb enough to do it...
    The future president and current vice president of the group might want to consider taking over in the near future.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Was just coming to post this. This is what the AP had on its prep high school poll in my state today.

Draft saved Draft deleted