1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tier 5 unemployment extension outlook grim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tucsondriver, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

According to this website I just discovered a few weeks ago, lawmakers don't seem to have the stomach for legislative battle that involves more spending, especially with the tea partiers making headlines, and even more so in an election year. Interestingly, this story doesn't get much play, especially when you consider that nearly every reporter in the nation isn't more than a degree of separation from someone who's counting on these benefits, and probably a tap on the shoulder away from needing them.

http://allyourtv.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1159:inside-the-beltway-politics-keeps-tier-5-proposal-off-front-burner&catid=118:how-the-media-covers-the-long-term-unemployed&Itemid=46

http://allyourtv.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1158:source-white-house-is-sympathetic-to-unemployed-but-not-enough-to-push-for-added-benefits&catid=118:how-the-media-covers-the-long-term-unemployed&Itemid=46

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As someone who is currently in Tier II, I would think part of the reason why would be that unemployed people are already up to 99 weeks.

Any more than that, and we're talking two full years. By then, critics will be asking why the unemployed can't find a job after two years.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Like 98% of the critics give a shit.

They think the money is coming straight out of their own pockets. You can't turn on the radio without hearing somebody blathering about "welfare coasters on unemployment."

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Before any of these doofuses vote on an unemployment extension, they should have to go without a paycheck for, oh, about three months or so.

Out-of-touch idiots.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since unemployment has risen dramatically in the past two years, meaning there are fewer jobs available, where exactly would the unemployed find these jobs as their ranks swell?

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not every state has reached tier iv so they haven't received 99 weeks

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who knows? Heck, today I applied to a company as a call center rep on their web site. They had me answer this long questionaire, asking how I deal with stress and stuff like that (It's like duh, I worked for a newspaper, I know what stress is about).

Few minutes after I filled it out, I received an automated e-mail rejecting me. This for a job that required a HS diploma. They probably figured I was overqualified.

I can understand why pols might be a little reluctant to vote for it because, not matter how bad the economy is, there's that certain stigma of being unemployed. And I can see certain groups running ads stating that the pols who voted for the extensions are voting to allow people to sit on their butt for two years off the government dime. No matter how false that is (employers contribute to unemployment), or how bad the economy is.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I get laid off later this year and begin applying for retail jobs (among others), I will face a choice.

Assuming one of these places does offer me a job, it would be for about the same money I would get in unemployment. Others would get less from the government, I know, but bear with me.

Now, personal pride says working is better than not working. But logic says spending 8 hours a day looking for better jobs (while getting $300/week from the government) is better than spending 8 hours a day making $300/week.

So . . . what is the incentive to take the retail job, if the unemployment pay is never ending? Seems to me there must be a tangible cutoff point, if for no other reason to spur the "given up looking" people back into action. It really sucks, but it's a fact that people achieve more under deadline pressure. Whether that's a newspaper deadline or a construction deadline or an unemployment-payment deadline doesn't make a difference.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My oldest, 23 years old, and I had this conversation a couple weeks ago. He has tons of friends who can sit home, get loaded, and collect unemployment. Or work full time and make $200 bucks more a week. Most chose sitting and getting paid to do nothing. I doubt this is isolated.

God forbid that fact is brought up in conversation, else you are looked at as some sort of demon.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, the reason "unemployment insurance" exists is so 23-year-old slackers can sit around and drink beer.

I saw a fat black lady wearing a mink, driving a Cadillac buying malt liquor and potato chips at the party store with welfare money.

goddamn socilism.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

assuming that the retail manager would hire you when they know you're going to bolt for a better job at 1st chance.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Like I said, look at the anger.

Draft saved Draft deleted