1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tie goes to the ... runners?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--allyson-felix-jeneba-tarmoh-tie-in-100-meters-to-be-broken-by-run-off-or-coin-flip.html

Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh tied for the third and final U.S. Olympics bid in the 100-meter dash. The tiebreaker? Their choice: run-off or coin flip.

The run-off might seem the logical choice, but keep in mind that running against one woman is a very different setting than running against a full field. The results of a run-off might be just as fluky as a coin flip.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw this, and thought it was very cool. Very sports movie-esque.
    A run-off might be fluky, but at least as a competitor you have some control over it. Gotta think they'd both choose that option.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's clearly the way to go. Settle it on the track.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. This should be a huge, dramatic event, but people don't care much about track these days until the Olympics actually start. I guess the stakes, a third-place run-off, make it less dramatic as well. But if Felix wins and then somehow takes gold (she's best in the 200-meter dash, so it's unlikely), it would be a great starting point for the movie.

I recommend Stacy Dash for the lead role (Felix is on the left):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

If they'd have left this up to the BCS, the bid would have gone to Tarmoh. She went to Texas A&M, and everybody knows the BCS loves the SEC.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Auburn fans would suggest that Southern California alumna Allyson Felix totally would have received the bid in 2004.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or, they'd have given it to the sixth-place runner because she beat one or both of them in some random meet in Europe last year.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

PKs, it's the only fair way. Making highly-trained athletes extend themselves is just asking for trouble.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And USC alums would totally claim that Felix won the gold medal, even though she finished second behind a better runner from an SEC school.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't even know why this was ever an issue. Run it off. Period. End of debate. It's a competition. Run it off. If someone is worried about a fluke result, let em run it off best two out of three.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think it's because they're in several other events and worried about performance.
    Which is exactly why they should arm wrestle.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

On the baseball side: There is no such thing as "tie goes to the runner"

Safe or out.

Carry on, wayward son.

Draft saved Draft deleted