1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tie goes to the runner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Charlie Brown, Mar 20, 2011.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've had several umpires tell me there is no such rule. It's purely a judgment call.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Safe or out.

Tie to the runner does not exist.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This, so I've been told more than once. I'd always heard, and maybe this is a sports version of an urban myth, that a tie isn't addressed in the rule book so what's been accepted is that the runner will be called safe because the ball didn't beat him to the base. And that is left entirely up to the umpire to determine.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The MLB link quotes an ump as saying ties don't exist, but he says the runner must beat the throw -- not that the throw must beat the runner.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"It ain't nothin' until I say what it was" -- Bill Klem on calling balls and strikes.

Same deal here. There CANNOT be a tie, because the umpire will call safe or out, and whether the rule says the throw must beat the runner or vice versa, the ump is enforcing said rule with his judgment. There could only be ties if baseball had a call for ties.
    Do runners get more of the really, really close calls, thereby causing this cliche to come into being? I dunno. Have the sabermetric mob get themselves a few billion feet of video and do a study.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No, there can't be a tie. Either he's out or safe. But there's a perception that "ties go to the runner." It's probably just something that's become sort of a sports urban legend. But the umpire has to have a definition in his mind to determine what an out is. When I umpired, my interpretation was, "ball must beat the runner." And my thought on a bang-bang play wasn't, "There's a tie, so he's safe." It was, "Ball didn't beat him, so he's safe."

Even if that's not right, at least I had a reason and that was better than most of the coaches in the league. I once had a coach argue with me that the runner on third shouldn't have been allowed to score on a sacrifice fly because the fielder caught it in foul territory and he thought that made it a dead ball.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I think it's in the same category as the make-up call in basketball.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

.....and therefore the difference between safe and out.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There are a few things that have achieved this status.

There is no tie to the runner, no hands are part of the bat, no wrists have to break for a swing, no bat has to cross the plate for there to be a swing, and so forth in the rule book. They don't exist.

These are all judgment calls for an umpire. Did he swing or not? Did it hit the batter or the bat? Did he beat the throw or not? And as judgment calls cannot be argued. It's that simple.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wait a sec...are you saying you're not out if you hit the pitcher?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

game
    set
    match

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

FACT.

End of thread.

Etc.....

Draft saved Draft deleted