1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tidesports.com (Tuscaloosa News) now charging for content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This might have been mentioned on another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. It's certainly getting a lot of run on talk radio/the message boards down here.

The Tuscaloosa News launched a new premium Alabama Crimson Tide sports site, and will move most of its more popular content over there from the regular Tidesports.com, which has been a real success.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090830/NEWS/908299851

http://tidesportsextra.com/

Be interesting to see if it works and how many others might soon follow suit ...

EDIT: to add links

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Alabama fans are reasonable enough to not get upset about this at all.

This is exactly the model I envisioned for college-town papers with rabid fan bases. I think it will be a mild success.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

The problem I forsee is threefold: 1. Even with Alabama fans geeked up to Bryant-level madness, $60 is a significant investment; 2. There are two strong pay-model players in the area already; 3. Cecil Hurt only breaks news when it is administration-based. So coaching changes, NCAA news, etc., he gets a wee jump on because a certain person whispers in his ear. But why the other pay-model sites are successful is because they get internal team/depth chart stuff.

RB

4. Steak Snabler

Which newspapers, if any, have similar (pay) sites? I'm not talking about Rivals/Scout, but sites that actually sprung from print entities ...

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

No, Steak, I was referring to the Scout/Rivals entities we both know and love.

I don't know of any that have tried this, which would end up being the fourth reason why I am pessimistic about it.

RB

6. Steak Snabler

10-4. I thought it was more-or-less unprecedented, which is why I figured it was worthy of a thread ...

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I was a humongous Alabama fan AND I lived someplace like Guam or Bahrain I might spring for this. Otherwise, no.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tuscaloosa Tide fans react to the announcement that the News will charge for its on-line UA content.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Wait until you see some of the lowbrow stuff they plan on in the coming days and weeks ...

RB

10. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Nicky is looking for you for using this phrase.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I want to shoot myself for saying this, but was listening to Finebaum today.. OK, I was surfing and heard an unfamiliar voice getting defensive.
    Was the EE of the T-News and was getting blistered by F-Baum... I must now shower for I feel dirty...

12. John

John Well-Known Member

If it can work anywhere, I'd think it would be there. The volume of stuff the T-News guys produce should make it worthwhile, not that people won't bitch about having to pay for it.

And shame on you, slappy.

Draft saved Draft deleted