1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tidesports.com (Tuscaloosa News) now charging for content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This might have been mentioned on another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. It's certainly getting a lot of run on talk radio/the message boards down here.

The Tuscaloosa News launched a new premium Alabama Crimson Tide sports site, and will move most of its more popular content over there from the regular Tidesports.com, which has been a real success.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090830/NEWS/908299851

http://tidesportsextra.com/

Be interesting to see if it works and how many others might soon follow suit ...

EDIT: to add links

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Alabama fans are reasonable enough to not get upset about this at all.

This is exactly the model I envisioned for college-town papers with rabid fan bases. I think it will be a mild success.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The problem I forsee is threefold: 1. Even with Alabama fans geeked up to Bryant-level madness, $60 is a significant investment; 2. There are two strong pay-model players in the area already; 3. Cecil Hurt only breaks news when it is administration-based. So coaching changes, NCAA news, etc., he gets a wee jump on because a certain person whispers in his ear. But why the other pay-model sites are successful is because they get internal team/depth chart stuff.

RB

4. Steak Snabler

Which newspapers, if any, have similar (pay) sites? I'm not talking about Rivals/Scout, but sites that actually sprung from print entities ...

5. Rockbottom

No, Steak, I was referring to the Scout/Rivals entities we both know and love.

I don't know of any that have tried this, which would end up being the fourth reason why I am pessimistic about it.

RB

6. Steak Snabler

10-4. I thought it was more-or-less unprecedented, which is why I figured it was worthy of a thread ...

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I was a humongous Alabama fan AND I lived someplace like Guam or Bahrain I might spring for this. Otherwise, no.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tuscaloosa Tide fans react to the announcement that the News will charge for its on-line UA content.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Rockbottom

Wait until you see some of the lowbrow stuff they plan on in the coming days and weeks ...

RB

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Nicky is looking for you for using this phrase.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I want to shoot myself for saying this, but was listening to Finebaum today.. OK, I was surfing and heard an unfamiliar voice getting defensive.
    Was the EE of the T-News and was getting blistered by F-Baum... I must now shower for I feel dirty...

12. John

John Well-Known Member

If it can work anywhere, I'd think it would be there. The volume of stuff the T-News guys produce should make it worthwhile, not that people won't bitch about having to pay for it.

And shame on you, slappy.

Draft saved Draft deleted