1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ticketmaster's newest scam: Instant scalping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck them....

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't even understand why they have a ticket subsidiary. Clearly the market for these tickets is greater than the face value of the tickets. Why not just sell them for what people are willing to pay for them in the first place?

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Back then, a long time ago, I actually got front-row tickets twice:
    James Taylor, 1979.
    Al Jarreau/David Sanborn, probably 1984.
    It'd never happen now. No way.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was just on livenation trying to see what two Jimmy Buffett tickets would cost me for his Apirl 21 show in Charlotte.

So, two $29 tickets will set me back $96.20. :eek:
    And what's a Charity fee? Why am I assessed a $1 charity fee per ticket? What charity? Jimmy's ganga fund? I think he can fund his own by now.

No thanks, fuckers.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What's a parking fee? Does that mean you don't pay for parking at the venue? And if so, why would you have to pay that for two tickets? (making the wild assumption that two concertgoers might ride in the same car)

Or maybe it's just a fee for "parking yo' ass on the lawn."

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm not a big fan of scalping tickets, but buying them after the show has started is a hell of a bargain.

Went to an NBA game on a whim right at the beginning of the season and bought tickets valued for $210 each for $60 simply because the guy had to get away from the arena and just wanted something in return.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

24 buck surcharge on two 29 dollar tickets... this is why i don't go to concerts...

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How appropriate that LiveNation is considering merging with Ticketmaster. Honestly, I remember when going to a concert was fun. But with venues getting bigger and bigger, more seats farther and farther away from the stage, more restrictions on what you can bring in, it's just become a big time hassle.
    I understand that most performers now make most of their money on tour instead of through record sales (used to be they'd tour to promote the album), but now they make more off of a T-shirt than a CD.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because this way they can create the illusion that the ticket prices are lower than they actually are, and pocket the incremental increase.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida did away with the scalping ban a couple of years ago. Now the local cops have to find other things to do when major events come to the state.

Ticketmaster and Live Nation are merging, BTW: http://tinyurl.com/bzb8y3

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Jimmy's had that $1 charity fee on there for years. Yeah, it's a scam. If you think the charity's so great, Jimmy, give the dollar out of your $29, don't add it on.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It's not Starman Justice, but it may be justice nonetheless.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNewsMolt/idUKTRE51882720090209

There's a class action lawsuit against Ticketmaster and TicketsNow in Canada.

Draft saved Draft deleted