1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ticketmaster's newest scam: Instant scalping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've gotten some pretty sweet seats via the scalping route (Once moved up from the upper deck to the third row for a wrestling PPV) so I don't mind buying off the street but I agree that TM sucks balls and is a giant scam.

At least in the old days, if you were within the first ten or so people in line for tickets to a show, you were GUARANTEED amazing seats. Kind of like a reward. Nowadays, you can be the first in line and get nothing or you can be in front of your computer from the second tickets go on sale and still come away with nada. It's bullshit and I only hope companies like this go under and everyone involved loses their job and is forced to suck c*** on the street for food money.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

yep.....just walk around the parking lot screaming "I need a miracle!!!!"

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not always on Stubhub, especially with sports tickets. Although that may be more true for concerts.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to go to concerts almost weekly when I was younger. I can't justify it on any level anymore. I might go if there was a Guns N Roses reunion tour or if Zeppelin ever tours again, but beyond that I can't do it. I'd love to see Springsteen or U2 again, but I've seen Springsteen about 20 times and U2 about 10 times and I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money to see them again.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yes, this was outrageous. I briefly considered Chicago among the cities I was looking at yesterday and got that scam and quickly eliminated them. I still got shut out because there were no good seats to be had on Ticketmaster and I tried for like six hours before finally giving up. Guess we'll go the Craigslist route or get them from another fan. Arggh. I might try for Toronto when they go on sale.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Know the feeling. I'd love to go to more concerts, but it's just not worth it anymore.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Among the thousands of things Congress should be worrying about, this is pretty far down the list, but it's a good thing to make the bastards sweat.

I can personally document that I could not have physically negotiated the ticket-ordering process any faster: recycled the page within 5 seconds of the tickets going on sale, typed in the codeword without incident, entered the option "BEST AVAILABLE, ANY PRICE", hit the order button, all within 20 seconds, and I was immediately informed all tickets were gone, and helpufully directed to TicketsNow, where I could conveniently pay two times to six times face value for the tickets.

Remember, the vast majority of the arenas hosting these concerts are constructed in full or in large part by taxpayer dollars.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

TicketBastard is sorry!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29043950/

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

So, they won't redirect us to the subsidiary, but they'll still distribute all the tickets to them, right? Screw Ticketmaster.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What a joke.

At least they have some marginally-increased sense of shame . . . unlike, say, the Cubs? . . .

Nah, they (TicketMonster) still suck. Large.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I loved this part of the story about Springsteen being pissed at Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster reacting...

The right thing? The right thing would have been selling the tickets fairly and not hording them to a subsidiary company.

Draft saved Draft deleted