1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ticketed for jogging in Central Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 3, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Guy goes for a 4:30 a.m. run in Central Park in NYC. He gets a ticket for running in the park before it is open. It has been getting a bit of news coverage. This is the second story I saw since yesterday.

For those who don't know NY well, it might be hard to relate. You can find people in the park anytime day or night. If they really want to roust people in the middle of the night, they could find everything from crack whores to muggers lurking in the shadows. And maybe they do go after them. But it seems pretty harsh to ticket a guy for running a loop (what the park is for), even if there is a dusk to dawn law that nobody obeys (If there are signs maybe I am not looking). They couldn't have just sent him off with a warning?
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a guy a few years back that was ticketed for sitting on an orange crate, because Bloomburg wanted the cops to go on a ticket tear?
  3. The Big Ragu

Ha. I didn't know that one. It was a milk crate. About 10 years ago. They were calling it "Milk Crate Gate!" I just googled it and I am still having trouble figuring out what exactly the summons was for.

Another good one. ... A few years ago, I remember a story about people randomly getting tickets for putting their backpack or bag on the seat next to them on the subway. Whether the car was crowded or not. Not even a, "Did you know that is against the law, can you please move it?" warning.
  4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Time for the weirdly nostalgic lament for a Koch-era New York: Gosh, remember when wandering through 4:30 am Central Park was a death wish...?
  5. The Big Ragu

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Baron Scicluna

There's another fairly recent one where undercover cops are leaving wallets and purses on subway platforms. Somebody finds it, and if they don't call the cops or hand it to a transit officer right away, they get ticketed.
  7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seriously? What would the charge be for something like that?

No actual crime to fight out there, eh?
  8. Baron Scicluna

Google Operation Lucky Bag.

Yep, I'm serious.
  9. The Big Ragu

Pretty ridiculous. I never saw that one, either.

But I was just reading through the stories of a few people who got nabbed and I was laughing. One was a Russian immigrant from Atlanta. He was walking through Central Park, saw a purse on the ground and opened it, took $27 out and stuffed it in his pocket. When he was arrested, it says he told the cops that he put the money in his pocket because he was going to find a park ranger and turn it in.
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So what was the charge? Mopery?
  11. The Big Ragu

I have no clue. ... From what I read, they had memos from a deputy police chief who interprets the law, saying that when you find something, legally you have 10 days to turn it in -- even if there is a cop standing right next to you on the subway platform you found it, you still have 10 days. So he was telling them when they set up their sting operations, they have to somehow establish intent. I really wasn't following it all. It's ridiculous that they are spending their time doing that.

In this case, yeah, mopery would be a great charge. The sob story made it even funnier. The guy sued the city for $1 million for false arrest, and said that his 17-year-old daughter was crying and the cops told her, "Don't worry. We're going to take your daddy to a nice jail."
  12. The Big Ragu

If you actually find a cop and hand a purse you found to him, what do you you think the odds are that he is going to open it and pocket the $27 inside?
Draft saved Draft deleted