1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ticket scalpers vs. ticket brokers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, May 26, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not used to chasing down tickets, by any means. I like to buy my tickets to an event from the source and that's that.

But with The Police this summer, that simply can't happen. So I'm browsing through craigslist, stubhub.com, ticketsnow.com and some other sites and was curious about something ... would it be cheaper to get tickets from a ticket broker on the Internet or by simply scalping tickets when someone's trying to find anyone to take them off his hand as the show nears?

As you might tell, I haven't dealt with ticket brokers and dealers much. Last time I scalped tickets was two years ago, for a soldout Nats game at RFK, if you can believe that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dunno, but I've always found Stubhub and findtickets.com to be outrageous on prices.

I'm going to press my luck for a Ducks-Sens Game 1 ticket tomorrow morning on TicketMaster. If I can't get it, I'll stalk the street and try to get one Monday afternoon before the game. No way I'm paying $327 apiece (best price on Stubhub.)

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And you should get tix near face that way.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ticketmaster.com, stubhub.com etc. have become the norm in terms of getting hard-to-get tickets for me. It sucks, but who has time for wristbands anymore? Got Police tickets online for Dodger Stadium show via Ticketmaster and, aside from the fees TM puts on, I got my tickets for face value. I splurged on a Game 1 Sens-Ducks ticket since I wasn't sure Ticketmaster would even have any more to sell. I have a few friends who want to see a Cup finals game, too, so, like Buck I'll be on the computer hoping to score some tickets at a "reasonable" price, too.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Scalper! Did you call me a scalper? I perform a service, gentlemen, and this service costs money. Now, do you want the tickets or dontcha?

6. Claws for Concern

Thanks for showing up Damone. I've already seen Cheap Trick and I have no interest in taking my little brother to see Earth Wind and Fire!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Those kids were there for the Van Halen tickets. Tweny bucks apiece.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, I don't have any Blue Oyster Cult. Now get outta here; you're bad for business.

9. Claws for Concern

Damone also knew how to impress Deborah Harry ... a Fathead version of her anyway.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Don't panic.

And, be willing to miss the opening couple minutes.

Of course you could get Born in the USA'd.

In August of 1985, my future wife and I trekked from Bethlehem (OK, not THAT Bethlehem) to Giants Stadium for one of the dozen Springsteen shows there.

I had double face (about $150).

Not a whiff.

I LISTENED to a hell of a concert (for some reason, I'll never forget him wailing "I want to spit in the face of these badlands." as the place exploded).

At intermission, I tried again with my $150.

Crickets.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, TM was a bust. No go online or by phone. Guess I'll be stalking Katella on Monday afternoon ...

12. Claws for Concern

Buck and I have already spoken about this, but how stupid is it that the NHL starts the finals in Anaheim on what'll surely be a busy day and night on the roads AND that the Ducks game starts at 5 p.m. and an Angels game starts at 6 p.m. literally across the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted