1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tick Tock T.O.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 29, 2006.

1. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Are you trying to say today's readers don't care about how million-dollar athletes are insulated? You're just plain wrong. If AP was providing any kind of service to us all, they'd have let us know if TO doubled up on the socks.

Truth is, my three favorite players to watch in the league -- for various reasons -- are TO, McNabb and Ray Lewis (Vernon Davis will soon join that list), but I must admit that the insulation update might be a bit much. But I do think the Tick Tock TO series of updates will be a well-read feature in papers EVERYWHERE... not just in Dallas-fan base areas.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe the first couple. After that, especially if they continue to be routine (and they will be, since it's training camp), they will be ignored.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

My point is, if he does or says something interesting, write it. Otherwise, spare me. The minutiae merely elicits yawns.

4. batts

batts Member

Does anybody else think the headline for this little ditty has an editorial slant to it? It seems a bit prejudicial.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Why AP has slugged it Tick Tock T.O., I have no idea.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Tick tock is a term for those minute-by-minute chronologies, such as

10:05 -- Owens takes the field, resplendent in tights and a feather boa
    10:08 -- Owens shares a laugh with Bill Parcells, who also wore a feather boa to practice
    10:13 -- Owens sprints past cornerback Anthony Henry and dives into the stands to catch Drew Bledsoe's pass

I haven't seen this, so I don't know if that's the format. If not, maybe that was the original plan and the format was changed but the name was not.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Methinks it's a pun on Tic-Tac-Toe.

A bad pun.

8. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

T.O. sucks. And the best part about the daily glance? You don't have to use it.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this another way for the Cowboys to claim to be "America's Team" in that they have the receiver who everyone wants to know what he's doing? Spare me and spare the readers, please!

10. batts

batts Member

I took it to mean "Tick Tock" as in a bomb waiting to explode. As in, it's only a matter of time before T.O. blows. (/double meaning intended)

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

11. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

If it was a Kurt Warner Daily Update [or whoever the hell they've got taken snaps in America's Wasteland Heartland this year, you'd run it. We're talking about America's Team dammit. It's damn un-American to root against the 'Boys. And leave T.O. alone. He's just misunderstood. If people showed more compassion and more papers ran his daily doings, maybe, just maybe, he'd feel more accepted.
    ;D

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

Draft saved Draft deleted