1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tibet story in new Rolling Stone (Panic at the Disco cover)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No link on their site, because magazines still realize that they're trying to sell a product, but if you get a chance to pick it up or are a subscriber, take the time to read it.

Excellent job by the writer of taking the reader behind the scenes of a place people are aware of, but might not understand or really grasp. It's frightening to read about how an oppressive regime can basically kill off a culture in just a couple of generations or less, as is in danger of happening in Tibet under the Chinese. On the other hand, I like to believe that somehow, taken underground, great cultures live on, waiting until its safe to come up again (Egypt and ancient Rome and Greece may disagree).

Anyway ... it's a pretty long piece, but a stunning piece of journalism and worth the time you put into it.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pringle, you're right, this was a really good read. I find it interesting that the Chinese are putting a public happy face on this whole thing, staying "hands off" in terms of Tibet (at least in the public eye) while the Tibetans deal with their own infighting.

For anyone who thinks China is just happy speeding toward being an open modern society as the 2008 Olympics approach, you need to read this story. It's really sad what the Chinese government is doing to suppress an ancient culture. And it's all for greed, so they can get to oil.

Sound familiar, hmmm?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think this is the story...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/13247913/the_end_of_tibet/1

Draft saved Draft deleted