1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday's 6 p.m. ET SportsCenter ... WTF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

While on the subject, WTF is Jesse Palmer and Darren Lyn doing on First Take this week.

How the eff did Lyn get a job?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have done a little bit of TV, at the Wayne's World level, and I swear I think i could do better than Reilly. Until I dropped my first f-bomb, of course.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

f) All of the above.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Um, you have heard of affirmative action, right?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Has he been on TV before?

I know it's not an excuse, but at least give the guy a little slack.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think so, on the now defunct CNN/SI network.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's really a PC statement. The home run derby part was insignificant, but it's pretty interesting that Bradley was the only black player in the All-Star game.

On Dave Zirin's blog, he quotes a "racial and gender report" card that notes "the game has the lowest percentage (8.2) of African-Americans in the game in the two decades that we have published the Report Card. That number is less than half what it was in 1997 on the 50th anniversary of [Jackie] Robinson's debut with the Dodgers, when African-Americans made up 17 percent of the players, and less than the percentage of blacks in the general population of the U.S. (12.3 percent)."

Instead of just a throwaway quip from Reilly, it would probably make a good Outside the Lines (although I have seen some stories on this issue in the last few years).

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Come on. Really? I hope you didn't earn your job, either.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The guy is awful.

But there are plenty of lousy white guys on ESPN, too.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yes, and the NBA All-Star Game is filled with black players. But Reilly won't talk about that because it's his favorite sport and how dare he diss the NBA.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Actually, I was doing an inventory in my head yesterday, while Reilly was on TV (inventory in head better than listening to jocularity), of what sports he really likes/knows. I figured golf for No. 1, then maybe ... NFL? I don't think he's that high on the NBA. Maybe MLB third, then NBA. Forget hockey. Tough to categorize, maybe more than many columnists, in terms of sport affinities. Most guys earn their spurs on one or two beats for a while that stay with them into column years. Not sure Reilly did beat for any length of time. (I know, lucky him.)

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I had to walk away during the HR Derby. I feel bad for true pros like Peter Gammons who have to sit and listen to this clown.

Draft saved Draft deleted