1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Only two questions today, but they're tough ones.

1. The actors who were the voices of Matt Dillon and Doc Stone on CBS radio's "Gunsmoke" did not continue in those roles when the show went to CBS television. However, each actor later played a prominent role in subsequent popular CBS TV series. Who were those actors?

2. Who were the last two men who started their professional football careers as AFL quarterbacks (not NFL/CFL retreads) to win a Super Bowl ring?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. George Blanda and Kenny Stabler?

3. micropolitan guy

Blanda began his pro career inthe NFL, with the Bears, I think. The Raiders were in the NFL in 1970, Stabler's rookie year.

4. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Is Len Dawson one of the answers to #2?

5. micropolitan guy

Nope. Dawson started with the Cleveland Browns.

6. Steak Snabler

Stabler's rookie year was actually 1968 (he was a senior at Alabama in 1967), he just never got into a game until 1970.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'll bite.

1. Pretty sure on William Conrad as Matt Dillon's voice. No clue on the other one. But I'm intrigued.

2. I'll guess Flores and Griese.

8. micropolitan guy

Well he would qualify then as one of the two but since he never played in a game until 1970, by which time Oakland was in the NFL, I'll disqualify him.

William Conrad is correct; he later starred Frank Cannon in "Cannon."

Bob Griese is also correct. Flores got a ring with the 1969 Chiefs (he later got one as a coach, but we're talking as an active player). There's one more.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a wild guess on the second answer of the "Gunsmoke" question and say Buddy Ebsen.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In addition to Griese, I'll guess Marlin Briscoe as the other guy. He played QB with the Broncos before becoming a receiver with the Dolphins.

11. micropolitan guy

Briscoe is correct. He started as Denver's QB in 1968.

Not Buddy Ebsen.

12. Steak Snabler

Floyd the Barber, but I can't remember his name.

Draft saved Draft deleted