1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry we're late. Play or don't. I'll check back in every so often and update the answers.

1. Who played in the SECOND college football game?

2. The American Football League ceased to exist after the 1969 season, when it merged into the NFL. Who was the last player who played in an AFL regular-season game to score a touchdown in the Super Bowl? (not 100 percent certain on this, but I'd have to be proven wrong).

3. Who is the Cincinnati Reds' all-time leader in GDPs?

4. This major-league pitcher had a 33-54 (.375) record in his first six years in the majors. For the balance of his career, he posted a 213-127 (.626) record. Who am (was?) I?
    ANSWER: Jamie Moyer.

5. Division III football power Mt. Union has not lost back-to-back regular-season games since the 1988 season. Which teams defeated Mt. Union in successive games?

And today's MUSICAL BONUS: Who was Roger Peterson?
    ANSWER: The pilot of the ill-fated plane carrying Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and JT "The Big Bopper" Richardson.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry we're late. Play or don't. I'll check back in every so often and update the answers.

1. Who played in the SECOND college football game?

2. The American Football League ceased to exist after the 1969 season, when it merged into the NFL. Who was the last player who played in an AFL regular-season game to score a touchdown in the Super Bowl? (not 100 percent certain on this, but I'd have to be proven wrong).

Larry Csonka?

3. Who is the Cincinnati Reds' all-time leader in GDPs?
    Pete Rose?

4. This major-league pitcher had a 33-54 (.375) record in his first six years in the majors. For the balance of his career, he posted a 213-127 (.626) record. Who am (was?) I?
    Greg Maddux?

5. Division III football power Mt. Union has not lost back-to-back regular-season games since the 1988 season. Which teams defeated Mt. Union in successive games?

And today's MUSICAL BONUS: Who was Roger Peterson?

3. micropolitan guy

Not Larry Csonka. (nore Pete Rose nor Greg Maddux. Just saw those answers.)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Buddy Holly's pilot on 2/3/59.
    That was, I believe, the day the music died.

(in the interest of full disclosure, I looked up the date to be sure)

5. micropolitan guy

Someday I'll get you, Moddy, but not today. I've been the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, it's a cool place.

How about, Buster Powell was one of two saxaphone players in what somewhat famous Richmond-area cover band in the early 1970s?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

4.) Curt Schilling

7. micropolitan guy

Nope, not Curt Schilling. He was 36-37 (.493) first six and 180-109 (623) thereafter.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

3. Tony Perez?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

4. Jamie Moyer?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Great guess, but does he have that many wins?

11. micropolitan guy

Zeke is correct, it's Jamie Moyer. On eof the more underplayed amazing stories of the past 15 years of MLB.

And Tony Perez is incorrect.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

1) Lou Holtz
    2) no clue
    3) Johnny Bench
    4) Luis Tiant
    5) My alma mater -- John Carroll -- and Baldwin-Wallace

Draft saved Draft deleted