1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I know you folks have been waiting for this, so here goes. Same rules, yada yada yada.

1. The Aarons have the most combined home runs of any two brothers in major-league history, and the DiMaggios have the most of any three-brother combination. Who ranks second in the three-brother category?
    ANSWER: The Boyers. Ken had 282, Clete 162 and Cloyd, a pitcher who spent four years in the bigs, had 0. Total of 444.

2. Only three players from Virginia colleges were NFL first-round draft choices in the decade of the 1970s. They are ...
    ANSWER: Walker Gillette (Richmond), San Diego, 1970; Barty Smith (Richmond), Green Bay, 1974; Tom Glassic (Virginia), New York Jets, 1976.

3. What player struck out the most times in a single World Series?
    ANSWER: Willie Wilson of the Kansas City Royals fanned 12 times in the 1980 WS, including the final out.

4. Who has the highest all-time winning percentage of pitchers who spent their entire career in the National League? (MLB records require at least 100 wins, I believe.)
    ANSWER: Roy Oswalt; 129-64, .668.

5. Who holds the Mid-American Conference record for career tackles?
    ANSWER: John Offerdahl it is, 694 career tackles, then a great career with the Dolphins.

MUSICAL BONUS: Who were the first two British bands to have the first three singles they ever released hit No. 1 on the UK charts?

ANSWER: Gerry and the Pacemakers ("How Do You Do", "I LIke It,", "You'll Never Walk Alone") and Frankie Goes to Hollywood ("Relax," "Two Tribes," and "The Power of Love").

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3) Willie Wilson

Remember it well.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

1. Alou brothers? I'm rushing this guess because buckweaver will soon be here and hit this one out of the park.

4. micropolitan guy

Willie Wilson is correct; 12 times in the 1980 WS, including the final out, I believe.

The Alous are incorrect.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

4. I'll guess Christy Mathewson.

6. micropolitan guy

And you'd be wrong. This is an excellent question, and it's not some obscure player from the 1920s or so.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jeez, if it's NOT Mathewson, hard to believe it's someone with
    a significant number of career NL decisions . . .

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

#4, Warren Spahn? or maybe Sandy K?

9. micropolitan guy

Mathewson: .665
    Koufax: .655
    Spahn: .597

This guy is better.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Roy Oswalt?

11. micropolitan guy

Roy it is; 129-64, .668.

Don Gullett's WP is higher (.686) but he spent two very good years (18-6) with the Yankees.

12. Is the three brothers the Drews? I can't imagine that's right, but I damn sure know it ain't the Molinas!

Draft saved Draft deleted