1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

First, best wishes and prayers for Kleeda's son. That is the No. 1 priority all throughout SportsJournalists.com Nation. We're all hoping for the best; I know I've given my son a lot of extra hugs the past couple days.

Same rules apply. Play or don't. Internet research (for answers that are posted) is discouraged. We've got some good ones today.

1. Fifty-two years ago this coming Monday (10/6/56), Penn defeated whom for its first official Ivy League victory? (You've got a 1 in 7 chance of being right, even with a guess).
    ANSWER: Dartmouth.

2. These two players pitched in the same game 248 times as teammates, a major-league record. Who are they?
    ANSWER: Dennis Eckersley and Rick Honeycutt, with Oakland/St. Louis.

3. My research has discovered six father-son combinations whose NFL careers lasted for at least a combined 20 years. Who are they? (and maybe you'll fin done I've overlooked).
    ANSWER: Archie and Peyton Manning; Bob and Brian Griese; Matthews, Clay, Clay Jr and Bruce, and Tony and Anthony Dorsett, (they were not on my original list of six, so now it's expanded);

4. Which college football team won the most games between 1910 and 1919? (No Spnited jokes ;D since we're about the same age).
    ANSWER: Washington, 52-4-3 from 1910 to 1919.

5. Who holds the NCAA Division I-A record for most consecutive successful field goals?
    ANSWER: Chuck nelson of Washington, 30 in a row. There's a guy from Toledo now who has 23 in a row.

BONUS TRIVIA: John Dillon, Larry Lee, Steve Cash, Michael Granda, Randle Chowning and Buddy Brayfield were otherwise known as ...
    ANSWER: They are indeed the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Moddy must be working today because he's impossible to stump.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mike Stanton and Mariano Rivera in a season and a half under Joe Torre?

3. 3. My research has discovered six father-son combinations whose NFL careers lasted for at least a combined 20 years. Who are they? (and maybe you'll fin done I've overlooked).

Archie/Peyton/Eli Manning has to be one.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

3. Bob and Brian Griese

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

3. Matthews, Clay, Clay Jr and Bruce

7. 3. Tony and Anthony Dorsett?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Total guess on 5: John Lee

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You jerk. I was going to guess that. (Plus it's no. 5) :D

My next guess is Tony Franklin.

Also, for no. 3: Phil & Chris Simms?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Five is four in Canuckistani....

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was he a first-round pick? I think he was.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Phil and Chris Sims have not combined for 20 years in the NFL; they're at 19. The Dorsetts are goodf; that's another pair I'd forgotten about, so this raises the bar to at least 8.

The placekicker is not John Lee. But the answer is from the same league, I'll give you that much of a hint.

Draft saved Draft deleted