1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia XVII - Monday edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 19, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Today we're the MAC football of trivia - any day, any time to get exposure. Last Thursday was too hairy to do the contest, so here's an early-week teaser.

Play or don't.

1. Who is the last of the three horses to win the Kentucky Oaks, American Oaks and Blac-Eyed Susan, the triple crow for 3-year-old fillies? Bonus: Who was the last fillie to win a Triple Crown race?
    ANSWERS: Davona Dale won the filly's Triple Crown in 1979. Winning Colors, the 1988 Kentucky Derby champ, is the last filly to win a Triple Crown race.

2. In the movie "Field of Drams," what song is playing as Ray Kinsiella drives into Boston to meet Terrence Mann and "ease his pain?" What song is playing as they "go the distance" and head back to Chisholm, Minn., and their meeting with Moonlight Graham?
    ANSWERS: "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers into Beantown, "China Grove" for the trip to Minny-soota.

3. I majored in physics at Michigan, was one of the first female candidates to become an astronaut, have been inducted into the International Women's Sports Hall of Fame, and was a pioneer in my field of athletics?
    ANSWER: Janet Guthrie is correct. The first woman to qualify for the Indy 500.

4. I was the first Chinese player to score a point in an NBA game.
    ANSWER: The Wang is right, six points for Dallas against Atlanta on 4/5/2001.

5. What do Jim McDaniels, Roger Brown, Freddy Lewis, Bo Lamar, Ron Boone and Fatty Taylor have in common in ABA history?
    ANSWER: They were the only ABA players to wear jersey No. 1.

BONUS: (I'll stump Moddy yet!) Who replaced Graham Nash as the co-lead singer of the Hollies when Nash left the band in 1968 to form Crosby, Stills and Nash?
    ANSWER" Terry Sylvester from the Swingin' Blue Jeans is correct.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

4. Wang Zhi Zhi?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

2. Doobie Bros., China Grove (second part of question)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Terry Sylvester.
    And I wasn't very confident so I looked it to be sure it was right. After. Honest.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

The other Field of Dreams song is Jessica by the Allman Brothers.

6. micropolitan guy

Bumped to reflect some correct answers.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Just spell my name right, please. Oh, and we listened to a lot more music than that. I'll post a soundtrack list soon.

Peace, love, dope!

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

3 is Janet Guthrie

9. micropolitan guy

bumped again with all the answers. Probably have a bye week this Thursday so we'l be back on May 29.

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Wasn't last year's Belmont Winner, Rags to Riches, a filly?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes - first filly to win it in 102 years.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19144539/

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now get the hell out of here!! (SLAM!!!!)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted