1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia XVI

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 8, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Happy Thursday. Play or don't. Internet research discouraged. Have to be out between 5:30-7:30 EDT but will check back in to update, validate, commiserate and congratulate.

Mixed bag of brain teasers and puzzlers today, concluding with the now-obligatory musical bonus question blast from the past. And we're off:

1. One of the greatest pitchers in major-league baseball history made his big-league debut as a 17th-inning pinch-runner. Who is I?
    ANSWER: Greg Maddux it is, as a PR for Jody Davis on Sept. 3, 1986, with the Cubs. He was stranded at second.

2. Who smacked the first pinch-hit home run in World Series history?
    ANSWER: Yogi Berra is correct.

3. There are only two NFL charter-member franchises still in existence today. They are:
    ANSWER: Chicago Bears franchise is one. The Chicago/St. Louis/Arizona Cardinals are the other. The Cardinals are the oldest continuously-operated professional football franchise. The league that became the NFL started in 1920. Green Bay joined in 1921.

4. In the seven NFL Drafts from 1998 to 2004, six quarterbacks were selected No. 1 overall. Who was the only non-QB to earn that distinction during that period?
    ANSWER: Courteney Brown is correct, by the Browns.

5. What two schools rank 1-2 on the list of most NCAA Division I Men's Team Golf Championships?
    ANSWER: Yale has the most, followed by Houston.

BONUS QUESTION: Who were Rudy Martinez, Larry Borjas, Robert Balderrama, and Robert Martinez?
    ANSWER: ? and the Mysterians is correct. Rudy Martinez was ?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stop with the bonus!
    I'm up to 96 Tears.
    But is it ? and the Mysterians or Question Mark and the Mysterians?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

4. Courtney Brown (ha, and that's even after pitchers of margaritas at lunch!)

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. Green Bay is one. The other is the NYG maybe?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No. 4 is Courtney Brown. I forget which year, but it was somewhere in that span.

Edit: Dammit, Headbutt beat me to it

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn Moddy, you're too tough with Boomer-age music.

7. outofplace

One of the answers to No. 3 is the Chicago Bears. No idea what the other one is.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Knew Courtney Brown... Number 3 is confusing me, because I know the Bears, Packers and Cardinals were all original members. The Cardinals have moved a bunch of times, though, and the Bears and Packers haven't.

9. outofplace

I thought the Packers came a year or two after the Bears.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No 5. -- I know Yale has the most. Stanford for the second?

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No. 2 is one Lawrence Peter Berra, a.k.a. Yogi.

Knew this because a reporter asked him about this at the Bob Hope one year.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

A "what the hell" guess: Warren Spahn is no. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted