1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thursday Trivia XIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 24, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Running a little late today. Play or don't.

1. Who is the all-time leading scorer (by points) in the history of the Southern Conference?
    ANSWER: Skip Henderson of Marshall is correct, with 2,574 points from 1984-88.

2. Who succeeded Mel Allen as the radio voice of the New York Yankees in 1964?
    ANSWER: Joe G. is correct.

3. Who was the only pitcher in Brooklyn Dodgers' history to throw more than one no-hitter?
    ANSWER: Carl Erskine is correct, in 1952 and again in 1956.

4. Who once saved three consecutive All-Star games?
    ANSWER: Dennis Eckersley, 1989-91.

5. Who was the last Baltimore Oriole to play at shortstop before Cal Ripken Jr. during the 1982 season, when Ripken moved there full-time from third base?
    ANSWER: Bobby Bonner is correct, at Seattle on 7/8/82 as a late-inning switch. Ripken moved to third.

BONUS QUESTION: Who is Richard Starkey?

Ha.

Actually, who is James Newell Osterburg?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

James Newell Osterburg is Iggy Pop.

3. micropolitan guy

Iggy was too easy

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. Koufax?
    4. Lee Smith or, for some reason I want to say Eddie Guardado
    5. Lenny Sakata

5. markvid

markvid Guest

2. Joe Garagiola

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

1. Wild guess would be Frank Selvy, who scored 100 points in one game for Furman.

2. Joe Garagiola replaced Mel Allen. Whether you would call him or Phil Rizzuto the voice could be questioned because Rizzuto had been there longer, but in 1965 he wasn't loved to the same degree as came to be during the 1970s.

3. Dazzy Vance

4. I would think it would be Mariano Rivera.

5. Todd Cruz

Richard Starkey is Ringo Starr. To me, at age 53, that was easier than Iggy Pop.

7. micropolitan guy

Frank Selvy did score 100 points in a game for Furman. BUt he has not scored more points in a career than any other Southern Conference player.

The Gonzaga great, Lenn Sakata, indeed was the last Oriole in 1982 to START a game at shortstop before Cal Ripken, at Cleveland on 6/30/82. He was not the last Oriole (other than Cal) to PLAY short that season.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Really? They gave Bobby Bonner some time there that season? Because then after that, he was never to be heard from again.

I'm guessing the SoCon scorer was someone from Davidson. But I can't begin to guess who.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that 3 is Carl Erskine (just read a book on the 1956 Dodgers)

10. micropolitan guy

bumped with more correct answers added.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1. Skip Henderson - Marshall
    (Stephen Curry can easily take this mark if he stays four years ... )

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

My guess is that no. 4 is someone who changed leagues as a free agent during the stretch.

So I'll go with Goose Gossage or Dennis Eckersley.

Edit: Or Bruce Sutter during the NL's run of ASG victories.

Draft saved Draft deleted