1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thunder snowstorm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

We had a thunder snowstorm here tonight. Very odd.

Lots of snow -- two inches in about an hour -- that's a quick clip around here. More odd was the lightning and thunder to go with it.

This was my first. Anyone else witness thunder snow before?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, but look at where I've lived in the past coupla years. It's not common here either, maybe once or twice a year.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

We had five or six inches of snow Thursday night. Every school an hour north and three hours south canceled school (To be fair, south of here had up to 13 inches, so ...). I'm just saying we don't get much snow here.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Been a long time since I;ve heard Thundersnow... but it's cool as hell...

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

saw it when i moved to weather hell. haven't seen it since i moved back.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One of my first memories was a thundersnow — it wasn't just distant rumbles; these were close strikes. Scared the hell out of me. Kind of awesome to see six inches of now on the ground in the morning, though. This was before I started kindergarten.

I've seen it a few times since, though. Rare, but not unheard of. You know a cloud big enough to produce lightning will produce a shitload of snow.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Saw it about five years ago. Haven't seen it since. But it is pretty cool.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Saw it last year when the 13 inches of snow hit Missouri right after Thanksgiving. The weather guys talked about it and we thought they were joking. It was awesome.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

We haven't had that much snow here in SE CT this year, but we've had two instances of thunder snow. Pretty cool.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I grew up in Kansas and weathered (a pun!) about one per year. They really are unique to witness.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

They're apparently very dangerous, too, but I don't know why. That's just what our meteorologists tell me.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We had it here Friday night. Pretty loud. And some lightning, too. Very cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted