1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thug life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mine, too.

Remember when Sean Taylor's thug background finally caught up to him?

2. I read the SPT and the Trib daily, and the AK-47/Longoria story has been quite major, at least in Florida. I don't bother reading much national baseball coverage, so I don't know how it's been presented there. But this was definitely a huge, played-up story when it broke a couple months back and continues to be.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It has not been a mainstream story in pop culture. As much as being a race issue, it also seems like a demonstration of how uncool baseball players are right now. What baseball player would have the highest Q-rating? And how many football and basketball players would there be ahead of him?

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This kind of story, lacking in a death or a home invasion/beating or that sort of thing, would not get any more or less coverage regardless of what race the subjects were.
    That's because of the 24-hour news cycle that we all exist in now. The newshole now is required to fit in the stories like "Is Pippa's 15 mins of fame about to end" and "10 worst things to do in a restaurant" and "Random meth lab bust/sex predator bust in a city near you" and all the cyclical stuff like progress editions/tabs and Top 10 Best Players previews, one by one.

Longoria and Co. are happy to let the police do their work and let this play out.

Editors have tough choices to make regarding non-coverage of stories that used to get a whole lot of play.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If this were LeBron James, there would be a million columns about, "Why does LeBron James need an AK-47? The NBA has an image problem!!!111!!!ELEVENTY!!!111"

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's Florida, so they probably gave it to him at the DMV when he changed his residence.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But that's LeBron you're talking about.
    Yes, the megastars would get extended and extra play with stories of this nature but there's too much other stuff that people are writing about and this story, lacking of megastars, will dry up fast.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How big of a Rubbermaid container are we talking? And was it full?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

Rubbermaid makes lots of sizes of containers.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Two days worth.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's been no lack of attention on this case in the Tampa Bay area media. I agree. What's the point of the original post? It's being discussed, written about and talked about. Including here.

Draft saved Draft deleted