1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwing this out there: Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

OK ... so Amy Winehouse's drug issues aren't exactly the best kept secret in the world.

Was the Grammy committee promoting her drug use by allowing her to perform? Hell's bells, when she accepted her award for the blar-blar-blar of the year (I wasn't really paying attention to the actual awards), she was barely lucid.

Anyway ... just something I thought of ... I'm going to bed now, so discuss ...

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Exactly when did the Grammy committee assume the authority to condemn or condone the use of narcotics by its membership?

3. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

The Grammy committee was on drugs when they picked Jethro Tull over Metallica.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I would like to know the ratio of Amy Winehouse threads on this site to people who know who Amy Winehouse is. It would have to be some kind of record.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know, Flash. But your use of "Hell's bells" was great. I will now be incorporating that into my everyday lingo.

Thank you.

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Does anyone take the Grammys seriously? Herbie Hancock for album of the year? I thought the Rock It video was cool and cutting edge when I was 8 too, but what the hell?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

fuck the Grammys, fuck Amy Winehouse. If not for her being the Britney Spears of the alt universe, I'd have no idea who she is. BFD.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Couple of thoughts:

(1) Rickie Lee Jones gave the all-time stoned-out-of-her-mind Grammys acceptance speech circa 1981. Didn't diminish the fact that "Pirates" was an excellent LP.

(2) I also recall lots of chatter about Bob Dylan being absolutely incoherent in his speech or performance one year. It became an ongoing late-night TV joke for about a year.

(3) Troubled by her addictions or not, Winehouse was outstanding on her latest CD. I'm not sure she's widely known, and I think a good 30-40% of people who do know the name only do so because of drug-related stories in the news, but she deserves props for her music. Much better than the syrupy crap that dominates FM radio and most awards lists.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had to look twice at who wrote this. I thought for sure it was spnited

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I wish you weren't already married.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My favorite answer of all..

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the Grammys had to limit their performers to those who are clean and sober, that would be one short show...

Draft saved Draft deleted