1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwing sand just not for kids anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Nov 12, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Read some of the comments below this story...you'll see how "tolerant" the people of Lewiston are:

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/237198-3/LewistonAuburn/Number_of_immigrant_students_in_Lewiston_grows/

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Lewiston has been having these problems for a while now. I was under the impression that the situation had improved, but apparently not...

And Junkie, I have to echo wicked and oop here, the fact that the kid is an immigrant is really irrelevant considering the situation.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Since this country has no national language, I don't see why it matters one bit if the kid learns English or not.

It is pretty obvious that knowing English will present more opportunities to him. But if the kid doesn't give a shit, why does anyone else?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because people who don't give a shit and don't help contribute tend to be supported through various social services by those who do give a shit and contribute.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Folks, I think we're getting off topic here-the kid was assaulted during an athletic event. I don't care who the kid is, it's an egregious act...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie would hate living in Toronto. Hell, we supply information on city services in about 140 languages.

If you live in my neighbourhood and want to work in a bank, you'd better be fluent in Polish and English

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

China?

I doubt it.

Oh, and no one becomes fluent in a language in two weeks.

8. poindexter

That's life in the big city world of message boards, so I have come to find out.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe. Maybe not.
    Maybe the kid contributes as a plumber catering to Hispanics. Is that not enough contribution for you?

Why is this kid required to be bilingual? No such requirement is on Junkie.

I also doubt that Junkie's mother was "fluent" in French after spending two weeks in the country. I also doubt that Junkie would be able to communicate in "any" foreign country after spending a year there.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Believe me, I realize that poin, but this one has been off topic since the first reply...

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is an egregious act. How many posts re-iterating that should occur before the subject shifts? I don't think anyone ever posted that it was okay that the kid had sand thrown at him.

12. poindexter

Just to make beaker happy:

I heartily endorse the throwing of sand in this athlete's face.

Draft saved Draft deleted