1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwing sand just not for kids anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Jesus, the kid gets assaulted during the race and we're arguing about why he needs a translator to explain what happened?
    Somebody's got issues.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my point. The assult on this kid was a disgrace. I find it disturbing that a poster on here is responding to that assault by suggesting that the kid doesn't belong in the race because he needs a translator. I really hope I'm reading his point incorrectly.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you suggesting the kid should have stayed in Somolia another 2-3 years till he could speak English gooder?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2007/11/14/second_runner_claims_sand_thrown_during_race/

Just an update on the story. Another runner from a different team confirmed sand throwing and police are continuing their investigation.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How do you know there is no demand for assimilation? Half the problem in Lewiston is the lack of resources, hence the mayor's letter a few years back discouraging further immigration. It's an old industrial Northeast city that probably can't provide much in the way of educational opportunities for immigrants and special-education students, given its tax base probably isn't great.

You are ignoring the nuances of this case. Maine cities, specifically Lewiston, have been wondering for a while how they can service the Somali community. It's not like the Somalis are leaving anytime soon, nor should they if they feel comfortable, even if the city fathers want to shove them out the door.

Assimilation is a noble, necessary goal, but when you have people who keep fighting these people's presence in the first place, in a nation where we're supposed to be welcoming of immigrants, I imagine assimilation is a bit more difficult.

6. outofplace

And this excuses assaulting him during the race?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How do you KNOW he isn't? You're twisting facts to go along with your point, and I'm accepting that now. But prove to me that the kid has not made strides in his assimilation.

You can't.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What evidence, that he needed an interpreter? If I were in a foreign country and had something heinous happen to me, I'd feel more comfortable speaking in my native tongue, too.

He's a victim, and he should be treated as such. Yes, I'd rather have a translator in this situation than trying to talk to the kid in possibly fractured English, unable to ascertain what really happened.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bleeding heart since some kid was assaulted during a cross country race?

Fuck that. I'm using common sense.

10. outofplace

Again...are you saying this justifies assault?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I believe so. That's the only explanation for Junkie's immigration-jack.

12. outofplace

That is how I took it, too.....but he's a big boy. He can speak for himself. Was kinda hoping he would.

Draft saved Draft deleted