1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwing sand just not for kids anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://bangornews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?articleid=156455&zoneid=23

Well, I guess throwing sand in someone's eyes just isn't for the playground, street fighting, or bad "B" movie fight scenes any longer.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What the heck does that have to do with the story?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"Hey, quit kicking sand in our face!"

"That man is the worst nusance on the beach."

"Listen, I'd smash your face, except you're so skinny, you might dry up and blow away!"

"Oh, don't let it BOTHER you, little boy!"

The ad that made a MAN out of MAC.

4. outofplace

It was a pretty small part of the story. I'm just not sure why his grades in school have anything to do with him having sand thrown in his face by some asshat spectator. The writer of the story wasn't questioning his right to be there, but it does read like you are. Perhaps I misread your intent.

As far as how he is in that school, you'd have to ask them. I do know there are American high schools with ESL programs. I went to one and some of the students in it were difficult to communicate with.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that back in the day. I might have finished 376th instead of, umm, 378th?

7. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Wow, unbelievable. I wonder how the sand thrower's kid (assuming it was a parent) finished. One place better, I guess. Sad.

P.S. Definitely had kids in my high school that didn't speak English. I think they did OK.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The kid is from Somalia, which is why he needs a translator. There is a very large Somali community (relatively speaking) that has come to Maine in recent years, and they're struggling to assimilate.

From the sounds of it, at least the way the coach is presenting it, it's a racially driven incident. Given some of the hayseeds in far northern and western Maine, it wouldn't shock me.

9. outofplace

Get over yourself... or at least stop changing the subject.

Thank you wicked for actually contributing some useful background information.

10. outofplace

Take it up with the school board in the kid's district, Junkie. Still doesn't excuse what happened to him.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Don't give Maine all the credit. There are hayseeds everywhere.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course, but when you say "backwoods" in Maine, those woods really are pretty far back, especially close to the border.

Draft saved Draft deleted