1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwback Pepsi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon, Jan 11, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This thread brings up a question to me: Has America gotten fatter or skinnier since the invention of "diet" sodas in the '60s? I think we all know the answer is the former, and by a lot.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's not just because of the diet soda. The rest of the meal got much, much fatter and starchier, offsetting the couple of hundred calories saved with the diet soda.

I never saw the benefit of ordering a Triple Whopper with Cheese with extra mayo and jumbo fries, and washing it down with a diet drink as if that makes up for the indulgence.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had a can of the throwback Dr. Pepper with my lunch, and yes, it is very good and worth the extra $0.15 per can I paid for it.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I have a diabetic mother, so the only sodas we had when I was growing up were diet. Now I just prefer the diet. I don't drink it to be healthier, because I don't drink sodas often enough for it to matter that much anyway.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I once saw an Oprah show about 20 years ago that profiled this woman who was around 700 pounds. On her trip to the drive through at McDonalds, she ordered two quarter pounders, a coupld of apple pies, an order of McNuggets and two DIET COKES. I remember thinking, what's the damn point? Go for broke and order the regular cokes.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Throwback Mountain Dew is pure sweet nectar and I will not have its good name besmirched by you heathens.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yes you will.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Tried it last night. Throwback's so much better than regular, it's not even a contest.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Techincally, you're still saving the 200-400 calories by ordering a diet coke over a regular one.

Of course, if you're going to get a Triple Whopper with extra mayo and jumbo fries, why waste time with a soda? Go all out and get the large milkshake!

10. KG

KG Active Member

Was that the lady that ordered two drinks, because she wanted them to think the food was for two people? I remember seeing that on some show years ago, but I can't remember what I was watching.

As for diet coke, there's nothing better than a fountain diet coke. I swear, almost like a drug, it at least temporarily makes me feel good. That's why I try to avoid it. My mom is seriously addicted to them.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I did the Throwback Threesome yesterday;

Bottle of Pepsi
    Bottle of Mountain Dew
    Bottle of Doctor Pepper

You can tell an obvious difference; More so in the Mountain Dew and Doctor Pepper than the Pepsi. I don't drink pop very much, but I came away rather impressed.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I really don't remember. May have been though. I do wonder what became of her. I think she got help from Richard Simmons, or someone of the like, so I hope she was able to take off the weight and start to live a healthier lifestyle.

Draft saved Draft deleted