1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throw-away sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dragonfly, May 17, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Curious to get your reactions to this story. Judging from the comments at the bottom, a lot of readers are ready to grab their pitchforks...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/columns/article_1696271.php

2. Well, it's OK ... except for the fact that it's a poorly thought out, poorly constructed and poorly written piece of crap.

If I was a reader I wouldn't be ready to lynch him because he disparaged UCLA. I'd be ready to lynch him because he's a shitty writer and a poor excuse for a columnist.

3. didn't Matt Foley the lowly grad student just post this? I'm not being a prick ... I just literally went from one thread about this to another ... strange.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

My bad. I don't usually get over to the Sports and News board and didn't see Foley's thread.

On one hand, I understand some of what Miller is going for. I think he was trying to say that a national championship in women's water polo, where only 30 programs field really competitive teams, isn't as prestigious as a national title in men's basketball or football. Unfortunately, the way it was done comes off as elitist and dismissive. So I'm guessing he went into it as an excuse to dump on UCLA's underachieving football team and went a little too far in the putdown of the nonrevenue sports while trying to make his point. Either that, or he was trying to be like TJ Simers and came up short.

Draft saved Draft deleted