1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

three_bags_full, or others with military knowledge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Nov 10, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't know about the Navy bit, but I was with you on the Marines. Like I said, try telling a Marine he's not his own branch. Then enjoy drinking your food through a straw.

2. One of my favorite stories was of a man who broke into the house without noticing a Semper Fi sticker on the bedroom window.

Turns out the four Marines were home at the time. The guy was pretty well bloodied by the time the cops got there.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Also, do not refer to Marines generically as "soldiers."

They are Marines, on all references.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't suggest using past tense when discussing service with a Marine.

They are Marines. Sometimes fuckin' Marines. Doesn't matter if he's 25 or 85.

5. Faithless

Faithless Member

Oorah!

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Four braches. Marines definitely counts, not Coast Guard.

Coast Guard is to the services what Players Championship is to golf's majors---nice try, but no dice.

7. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

What childish, dick-headed comments about various branches.
    All of the branches count and have value.
    These men and women put their necks on the line in various situations every day.
    Coast Guard is big with the war on drugs. Believe me, the drug runners will shoot at you.
    Navy serving as taxicabs? Get a clue.
    The ones who make the biggest jokes probably never served a day of service in their lives.
    Others who do serve but insist on heaving insults, remember - One team, One mission

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Trust me here....it's four branches. Coast Guard does not count unless specifically moved under the Navy's arm during war. And the Marines? Most definitely their own branch, even though they technically fall under the Department of the Navy.

9. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Clinchcargo: Son have you never heard of the Brown Water Navy or the Mekong? I would suggest a little research into Coastie actions during the Vietnam War. They got the dirty end of the stick time and again. They never bitched. They just fought and fought well.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Three departments. Four branches. Although only one's worth a shit.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i can't believe this is actually a thread and wasn't resolved in deskslave's newsroom after five minutes on line.

my grandpa was a united states marine who saw combat in the pacific theater in world war two. i have his discharge papers. they state that he is a navy veteran. the marines were part of the navy. now they're not.

the air force was once the army air corps, but that changed a long, long time ago.

12. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Having spent a number of years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, I can tell you Marines and Sailors get along best when they're giving each other a hard time about their service. It's not disrespectful, it's a way of life. BTW, you have to be six-feet tall to join the Coast Guard. That way if your boat sinks you can walk back ashore. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted