1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

three_bags_full, or others with military knowledge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Nov 10, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My desk is debating how many branches of the military there are. I say five. Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard (during wartime), and Air Force. Others are saying four, because the Marines are part of the Navy.

I say if you told a Marine he wasn't his own military branch, he'd tell you you were wrong, while wrapping his hand around your throat.

I think we're going to write around the issue, but I wanna know, dammit.

2. Check AP style, but to me Marines has always been its own military branch, especially if you're going to include the Coast Guard ...

3. ARD

ARD Member

... in some countries Marines are no longer part of the navy (notably the United States Marine Corps which has become an independent armed force falling only administratively under the navy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marines

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The USMC is administratively under the Department of the Navy. However, the Corps is its own independent branch of the military, separate from the U.S. Navy.

Five branches.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

An <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_United_States">argument not to include the Coast Guard</a>; it's not (usually) under the command of the Pentagon:

6. ARD

ARD Member

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#Military

Military branches:

Army, Navy and Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard; note - Coast Guard administered in peacetime by the Department of Homeland Security, but in wartime reports to the Department of the Navy

7. Anyone detecting a theme here, or are we just going to rinse and repeat?

8. I believe the Commandant of the Corps is a full member of the JCS.
    That leads me to believe that the USMC is standalone.

9. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

"Others are saying four, because the Marines are part of the Navy."

Never, ever make that statment. Ever.

The Navy does a fine job fulfilling its job if ferrying the Corps to where it is most needed. It is a very fine cab service.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've got a book called "In God We Trust" which discusses one's taking of the military oath.
    There are five branches, according to this book. The marriage of Marines and Navy involves the Navy sending a Corpsman (medic) into the field with all Marine units.
    Army has its own medics and USAF does, too.
    Marines always have one Navy person with each field unit, called a "Corpsman", who can administer aid to injured Marines.
    Five branches, I vote.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Outstanding. :D

As a brother, best friend, great-nephew and grandson to various Devil Dogs in my life, I say Semper Fi to the few and the proud. And a happy belated birthday to the Corps. Hoo-rah!

12. David Panian

David Panian New Member

The Navy also provides chaplains to the Marines.

Draft saved Draft deleted