1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three_Bags Care Packages

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 23, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I lifted this post from the other thread about three_bags' deployment to Afghanistan. Three_Bags_Full is one of ours, and if you feel inclined to do something nice to make his mission as comfortable as possible, he posted some suggestions to include in a care package/box and where to send it. I'm stickying the info on a wonderful suggestion from someone else.

2. The Big Ragu

These posts from the other thread may prove useful, too:

3. The Big Ragu

Sorry, I know there is a whole other three_bags thread, but I wanted to just present this too if you want to send him some helpful stuff. Gingerbread has experience with the best way to go about it,and a brother who had some experience in what is appreciated, so I will share some of her tips from the other thread via cut and paste. See the above post about the flat rate from the post office.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just sent box off via Priority Mail

Key is having custom declarations form filled out before you get to window. Every individual item has to be listed and there is only 4 spaces on form - if sending more than 4 items you can create 2nd page . I just used an excel and attached to form.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So, if I were to put several different packets of Easy Mac, I would have to write each on individually or could I say 8 packets of Easy Mac?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If all the same you could use one line and put quantity of 8. Each different item requires different line. Suggest grabbing from at post office first.

with multiple pages they will provide clear pouch to hold.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I offered my recently former sister-in-law to TBF as the company puck bag, but he politely declined... Something about not accepting cattle for shipment... [/crossthreading]

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've sadly gotten to be old hat at this, my brother-in-law just returned from his second deployment in January. (Third if you count the Gulf War)

Some additional things we sent:

Jerky (beef and venision)
    Microwave popcorn (they had access to a microwave, don't know about TBF)
    Newspapers
    Music CDs
    Skin So Soft Bug Guard, the stuff with sunscreen

I know there were other things we sent, but I can't think of what they were off the top of my head. We always took advantage of the priority mail flat-rate boxes and packed them as full as we could. It was fairly quick turnaround time from sending to arriving.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, sunscreen and chapstick are pretty useful, here. That's for sure. We do have a microwave.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So are you sure your unit didn't want the puck bag?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Oh hell, I'll take her.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Boom, how long did it take you to fill out the forms? I'm going to send a package this week and want to drop if off before work. Just would like to know how much time to allow for say, 5-10 items or so? Thanks. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted