1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three things you would have done differently

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Aug 3, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wow, where to start?

1. I wish I had just been nicer. When I got into jobs once or twice where the air was really thin, I turned into somebody that wasn't that nice to be around. It took a while to walk myself back from that. It might be argued that I never really did, I suppose.

2. Learning Spanish in 1985, or web design in 1995, would have been a really good career move.

3. In 1991, when I was out of a job for a little while, I should've gone all-in to get a masters degree. Not sure what path that would have put me on, but 20 years later I could say,"Yeah, I was out of work but I did get my masters."

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

1. Gone somewhere for my own personal development. I did co-op placements at a good weekly in high school and knew a lot by the time I went to j-school. I ended up editing one of the school papers and editing every class assignment. I didn't bother with internships because I was getting experience, or so I thought... although a foot in the door at big papers might have done something better for me.

I had skills that were in demand and a I landed with a decent small paper out of school. I didn't get much editing or advice there and within a few years I was running my own newsroom... both in a small, family-owned chain. There was very little editing of my work, very little mentoring from above, etc. I know I'm a good writer and designer, but I've kind of become stagnant here and with the right help, I could be churning out better work and in a position to advance more.

2. Been less loyal and lazy. I put down roots easily and really haven't pushed for the jobs I wanted or prepared to move on quick enough. I also don't speak up enough about the good I've done and go for the raises and recognition I probably deserve. It's easier because there's no conflict, but harder because the conditions and pay aren't what they should be.

3. Stayed in sports. There is nothing I love better than being on the sideline at a prep football game, shooting a hockey game, or featuring an interesting athlete and there is nothing better in life than loving your work.

I'm editing now and it's a rare treat when I get to go back and cover sporting events. I still get a thrill out of putting together a product and I still do some fun takeout features, but it isn't the same. A lot of my day now is dealing with the stress of deadlines, challenges working with higher ups about budgets, etc. supervising people, and taking phone calls. I really do miss the day-to-day beats.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

1. Would have went to a University outside of my hometown. With me being so close to home it allowed me to spend the first years of college with all the bad influence friends that led me down the road to hell. However, at the end of that road was the woman I will spend the rest of my life with so it's not that bad at all.

2. Would have taken better care of myself/got a damn haircut! If I would have done those two things, there was a better chance for me to get the internship with the Astros I was interviewing for and that could have opened up a lot of doors.

3. Would have focused harder and nailed the interview with the Hurricanes. I flaked the interview and then bailed before the game. I know if I would have just focused on the goal, not asked about salary and stuck out that sick to my stomach feeling of not nailing the interview I'd still be there, doing all the writing for the website. If you decide to take an interview, give it your all, no matter what. If you don't want the job, don't interview. I learned that now, and give 100 percent every time I sit down with management types for interviews.

4. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

1. I would research a reporter's salary before majoring in journalism.
    2. Picked up a second major: web design, business, or something along those lines.
    3. Never taken out a student loan. My take is, if you have you borrow money to become a journalist — pick another career.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking of others, but damn, this one's about perfect for me, too.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

+1

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This would have never occurred to me to put down, but this is a great one. I muddled through German to get rid of my school language requirements, but if I could have seen into the future and known how much Spanish could have helped me in my career and simply in life ...

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially vis a vis bases. Like, are you kidding? Fuuur suuuuure.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

1, Sent a dozen roses and a note telling her how badly I felt for the way I had ignored her and that I really couldn't stop thinking about her (which was true) to the girl I was dating about 10 years ago. Yeah, I know, I ought to let it go and I have. But ... I really did feel bad for a long time about the way I treated her. She was also our news editor and her desk was almost right next to mine. Sweet girl, too.
    2, really pressed the Army for what I needed when they asked me to go overseas in 2003. I wasn't equipped to stay (me: What in hell do I need to take? Army: Oh, just the normal stuff.... Normal stuff? There is nothing normal stuff about covering a war.) and wish I had been so I could have gone north with the troops into Iraq during the invasion.
    And that's about it. Otherwise, no real complaints. Some bad bosses, some great bosses, some great coaches, players and friends along the way, some unbelievable experiences, some stuff that I still don't believe I got to cover.

10. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

1. Even if it meant living on credit cards, I would have sought out strong internships rather than zero internships. I think it was the difference between starting at a weekly and starting at a real paper.
    2. Not worked for free. I think I gave the second daily I worked for 20 free hours a week every week because I was convinced that's what was required. I don't know how I bought into that culture. I now know how hard it is to get fired from a newspaper (cutbacks not included).
    3. Been born in the northeast, where so many places you could change employers several times without even having to move, because there are so many population centers and so many papers.

11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Doesn't matter. What's done is done, and now I have to move on to the next thing. I need to focus on the future and not bitch and moan about what I did in the past and what I should have done.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Isn't there a conflict here?

Draft saved Draft deleted