1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Tennessee football players arrested for armed robbery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 12, 2009.

1. I hate Snyder

I hate Snyder New Member

“I think they should still be able to play football, regardless,” he said. “Tennessee is my place. It’s my football team.”

“Even after they put a gun in your face, you say let them play football?” 6 News asked.

“Yeah, it’s Tennessee. That’s the way it is sometimes,” Zickefoose said.

2. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Tebow's influence would have set Richardson on the right path. This never would have happened.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From everything I've read about Meyer and his program, it seems like he provides a much greater safety net for his players to keep them out of trouble. Sure same thing could have happened at Florida but less likely.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The reason for all the schadenfreude is mainly because Kiffin has done nothing but shoot off his mouth since he got to Tennessee. He's given the impression that they're going to do everything fast and loose in Big Orange country, and this week's trouble seems like proof of that.

As recently as last week, assistant coach Ed Orgeron told a booster group, "We're not angels. We're not going to sign a bunch of angels."

And of course there was the whole Lil Wayne thing, whom Kiffin thanked on his Twitter for "boosting our street cred" because he mentioned Kiffin's habit of "talking shit" in a song. You know Lil Wayne, the guy with multiple drug arrests and a handgun conviction (for which he'll be sentenced in February) on his record.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.theledger.com/article/20090626/NEWS/906265047?Title=UF-Football-Arrests-a-Problem-Or-Simply-a-Sign-of-the-Times-

Gator fans need to look in the fucking mirror.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tell Kiffin that he is not coaching The Raiders any more.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Then you aren't reading very closely. Urban got there in 2005. From his arrival through June 2009, 24 Gators had run afoul of the law in some manner, including felonies.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/janoris-jenkinscharge-misdemeanor-affray-and-resisting-arrest-without-violence-for-his-role-in-a-may-30-fight-outside-a-down.html

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To clarify ... they can get thrown off the team for any reason. The school has to honor their scholarship in most cases. Since the scholarship is renewable on a yearly basis, they can stay in school through the spring or summer semester. Of course, after that, they're free to continue in school, paying their own way.
    But football? Not a right. If Kiffin wanted to, he could bounce them now.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The school doesn't have to honor the scholarship if they violated a university code of conduct. They could run them right now but they haven't.

They won't get bounced until the school's lawyers say its ok to bounce them.

I'm also starting to think Jackson will skate on this.

The other two are in deep shit however.

10. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

"Gator fans need to look in the fucking mirror."

Where can I find me one of those?

BYH wants the eight second model.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, all he's done is talked shit.

Well, that and increased the team's GPA to its highest level in 5 years...

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jun/24/vols-making-grades-team-gpa/

...while signing a Top 5 recruiting class in about 3 months and taking two No. 1 teams to the wire on their home fields...and as disappointing and troubling the recent arrests are, it should be noted they are the first incident in 11 months for a program that gave the world the "Fulmer Cup."

[/VolFanBoy]

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't really have anything against Kiffin. In fact, I find him wildly entertaining. And I have to admit he's done a far better job on the field than I ever thought he would. But anyone who was surprised by this latest incident hasn't been paying attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted