1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three teens (now women) freed in Cleveland after a decade or more in captivity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 6, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Re: Three teens (now women) found in Cleveland after a decade or more in captivity

Seriously, my very first thought when they said there was a child was that "Room" had happened for real.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Re: Three teens (now women) found in Cleveland after a decade or more in captivity

Great storyteller.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by this story, but also find it so upsetting.

Not sure I want to follow it.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The AP story said it was Amanda Berry's daughter. This is an incredible story. When I drove for FedEx quite a few years ago I used to drive by Gina DeJesus' house every day. Always a ton of flyers and ribbons up in the yard on the fence and in the trees and bushes. I also delivered on the street where these girls were found and it would not surprise me if I delivered to the house.

Not a great neighborhood but not terrible. It's amazing that these three women were in this house for so long and never made a sound that was heard. So glad they have the worst part of this nightmare behind them.

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

In a slightly related note, Emma Donoghue's book Room, which is written from the perspective of a child born into similar circumstances as this case, is an amazing read. It explores the idea of: what if through your formative years, you never knew anything else and accepted this captivity as the normal way of the world?

6. Re: Three teens (now women) found in Cleveland after a decade or more in captivity

This is being republished and recirculated...

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/amanda_berry_is_dead_psychic_t.html

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

About a decade ago, a friend who works for the Indians now worked with the son of the suspect at the Bowling Green student newspaper. Some time during that stretch, the son apparently wrote a news feature about one of the missing women: https://twitter.com/SaraShookman/status/331584056858910720

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Other interesting and somewhat chilling details here: http://amymihaljevic.blogspot.com/. Among them:

— Apparently one of the arrested Castro brothers made Amanda Berry watch a TV news report about the death of her mother.

— Last year, Pedro Castro was interviewed for a TV news story about the possibility of searching Cleveland's West Side for remains of Berry's body. He told them, "That's a waste of money."

— The Castro family was close friends with the family of Gina DeJesus, one of the kidnapped women. DeJesus' father had been in the home for music rehearsals since his daughter was kidnapped.

All kinds of weird right now, and a lot of questions and answers still to come.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mark Whicker just fired up his laptop.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect the son is going to have to answer some very very pointed questions about what, if anything, he knew, and when did he know it?

And I would say he better come up with some real good answers.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Looking at how close the houses are where they were located, I can't believe they could be there for the better part of a decade and not discovered. You'd think 3 kidnapped people could make enough noise or racket to draw some sort of notice at an opportune time.

And the Yahoo article mentions multiple pregnancies where these girls were probably delivering babies in some dirty basement room.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/escaped-cleveland-woman-amanda-berry-real-hero-kidnapping-141444873.html

Will be interesting to hear all the details on this as it comes out--all in one room or separate rooms? Soundproofed? Were they shackled or how were they kept from being able to escape?

Draft saved Draft deleted