1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three-sport awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, May 31, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We consider them in the mix...one kid won the small school award with a cross country/basketball/track and field mix.

He was an all-state level basketball player, and a state winner in various distance races...helped his team to the 1A state track title, which is the biggest division in our state.

I don't think many people understand how different cross country and track really are...but they take a different kind of athlete to excel at the highest levels. Cross country is more about endurance...track is more about speed (yes, even at the 1,500 and 3K) races.

Likewise, if your area runs a regular indoor track season (not the case here), I'd count that as two different sports...especially when they are doing such different skill sets as the example mentioned.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

We have many, many kids who fall into that category, too. I've never heard anybody try to claim that it was three sports. There are subtle differences, of course, but it's essentially three seasons of the same sport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The high school I went to gives a special award to those who earn 12 letters--which is essentially lettering in three sports all four years.

The school has been around since 1995. Only one athlete has ever got it. A girl who was 6-foot tall and played volleyball, basketball and threw the discus.

4. flexmaster33

That's quite the feat...tough to letter when you're a freshman...especially in a boys sport. I've seen the 12-sport thing done by kids doing four sports...typically a football (kicker), soccer, basketball and baseball combo.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, actually. But they're a dying breed. Too many athletes these days, especially at the bigger schools, are focusing on one sport, year round. Don't blame them if that's their meal ticket.

When I was in high school, I knew plenty of three-sport folks. And a lot of those folks had summer jobs too.

Now, not so much. Two sports are really pushing it.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

At one of the high schools I cover, there are two male seniors who play three non-track sports. One plays football, basketball and baseball. The other is on the football, wrestling and lacrosse teams.
    I'd have to think about it a while, but I don't think there are any senior girls at the school that do the same thing. There is one who played field hockey and was on the indoor and outdoor track teams.
    I'd love to give out an award like that, but not by default.

7. flexmaster33

It does help to have a pool of 8-12 high schools in the area...we don't give out the award at our small weekly where it's just one school.

8. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Working on a story for our paper Sunday on a girl who is the school's female scholar athlete of the year, and only the 6th 12x varsity letterwinner (cross country, swimming, track & field) in school history. 4.5 unweighted GPA, took 10 AP classes and has five 5's already. Basically never got lower than a 70 on any test since fourth grade.
    All-State in XC all four years, state participant in track and swimming all four years. She'll run in college, and plans to double major.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yeah, but what's the dirt on her?

10. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Touche. Make a bad decision once, have it follow you forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted